My Collection Of Old Junk

swampgarage

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm num num num... Is shiny, is good! Plus I'm loving the front lip on your 86, speed humps are worst nightmares for it but oh well :wink:

Collecting Corollas is an incurable disease, the only way to keep it in check is to work on them. :laff:

The car was white, but when it was tragically killed by a hyundai excel, I transplanted it into a black body. The white mirrors were left as a tribute to its former self.

Oh, and if you think they look bad now, I've got much worse planned for them yet...

Edited by 86coupe

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Got the black levin on the road now and took it to its first track day last weekend.

Minor dramas with the front wheel bearings starting to give out after 2 laps. Tightening them until the wheels stopped wobbling got me through the day and 120km drive home. Its making horrible noises again now, so time to fix it properly.

Track had dried out a bit while I was doing the bearings, so I put on my stickier but bald tyres. Ran short of time though, so had to go out half dressed.

2191.jpg

Engine is burning a ridiculous amount of oil too - about a litre in half an hour of racing :S

2263.jpg

Seeing Derek in the smoke trail behind me was rather funny though.

2199.jpg

And the mismatched suspension with stiff shocks, 4.5kg front springs and 6.5kg rears made for some exciting and terrifying handling.

2271.jpg

Will definitely sort that out before the next one!

Couple of videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hseDZYKRMyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0AFddr5_w0

And the mismatched suspension with stiff shocks, 4.5kg front springs and 6.5kg rears made for some exciting and terrifying handling.

Hahaha I bet that was loads of fun. I had a guy at QR try and convince me to run 8kg front 11kg rear in the s13. I just nodded and agreed, hard to argue with severe stupid.

AE86's are so rare up here you can't afford to send anything remotely usable to scrap. Even the really rusted out and mangled ones we've stripped every last piece out of before disposing of them.

The soft front springs cause a lot of brake dive, even when driving normally. On the track it resulted in sudden and unexpected direction changes when coming out of a corner. This is how the white levin was set up when I bought it though. It also had one front shock locked solid and the other alternated between rock hard and nothing - bounce, bounce, slam!