Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Flared Wheel Arches

Featured Replies

Hi everyone,

 

I've got a 2 door KE-30 with 205/65/R15's on it. The front tyres contact the wheel arches slightly when turning sharp and going over a bump.

 

Does anybody know of any flared wheel arch kits, or if flaring them out is difficult to do?

 

Thanks

first thing to do is change to a 55 or 50 series tyre

 

what rim width are you running?

try a 195/50/15 and you shouldn't have any more problems

 

 

if you need a little more clearance , grab an old shockie and roll the guards with it

if you still need clearance then just flare the original guards

it's not that hard a job to do

 

 

 

a little tip

 

when rolling or flaring guards put an 8 mm spacer behind the wheel and then roll it , it will help with clearance as the steel will tend to creep back after you roll it by about 10 mm

will give a better result

yea 50 55 should sort ure problems out fine

  • Author

Thanks mate,

 

I'm running 205's at the moment, they are actually standard tyres off a Commodore. Guess I'll have to fork out the cash and get the low profiles.

 

Also do you know if there are camber kits available for KE-30's? I hate it how my front wheels are pinched in, can't remember if that's positive or negative camber!!! They need to go out the other way.

 

Cheers

i think your talking about positive camber. the old girls tend to have a bit.

Your gearing would be massively out of whack with a 65 profile tyre on 15's too. If you put a 50 series low profile on you would gain back some acceleration.

 

Changing the tyres, along with some negative camber would fix things nicely I imagine.

 

You can buy adjustable camber tops to suit a KE30. They are made by Cusco (They label them for a TE37) and can be bought from a supplier in Adelaide.

 

PM me if you want the details of the supplier.

Did it take much work to fit those Taz?

Nah not really. Previous owner of that car had some on it and he did most of the cutting. He then sold the flairs on and I bought the car and had to get some more.

 

If you fit them asap when getting them, then the fibreglass is still a bit green and flexible and makes life a bit easier.

 

If I had to fit another set I'd just:

dummy fit them with tape

Drill holes for bolts and test fit

remove flairs and draw an arc (from trimming) as close to the bottom of the bolt holes as possible.

trim guards with tin snips

re-fit flairs.

 

I still need to fit mine properly after I paint them (still in gel coat) and get some flair tubing.

 

There's a few pics of my car with cut guards and no flairs in the first couple of pages of my projects thread just after I bought the car. :)

sigma lca will give you 2 degrees neg camber ..easy and cheeeeeep ($20 from the wreckers)

I guess you are ignoring the fact that the ball joints are not right?

well ive run em in ae86 and ke70 without issue

I have always understood that the ball joint tapers were different.

 

*E7* guys don't seem to worry about it, and I haven't read of any disasters as a result, but its not something I would risk on my car when racing.

 

Each person has their own level of comfort with mods.

 

I wouldn't put chopped falcon springs in my car either, but plenty of guys do :)

sigma control arms are overkill, don't do it, just get some tyres first that would be the easiest mod to do and you will get better feel

  • Author

Sorry for the late reply guys, was out of town the past week.

 

Thanks for that, was not aware that flared wheel arch or camber kits were available. Sounds like some work to fit them. Maybe I should replace my guards first, the driver's side one is a bit wonky!

 

Yes some negative camber, flared wheel arches and 50 profile tyres will sort it out.

 

Something I should definitely look into!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.