Flipping Leaves Ke35 Cheapest Way To Lower

hey lads, putting some hotwires and new tyres on my misses car tomorrow and I'm gonna have the shits and cain it with the grinder to lower it, I'm thinking bout chopping front coils, How much should i go along the coil, before i can afford new king springs, and how should i go about lowering the rear??? my mate has drop blocks for a hilux with the borg warner rear that hasnt been fitted so i can dummy some blocks of my own off his, or should i flip the leaves, is there a way of lowering the car for cheap until i can afford lowered springs, struts, shocks and reset leaves after i come back from my o/s holiday in a month??? the car gets driven bout 5k to and from work a day so I'm not overly concerned about dodgyness cause the new shit will be getting done asap cheers

Members dont see this ad

as seabiscuit said, wait until you can afford it. Bet the missus wont be too happy if something screws up.

But if you have your heart set on doing it now.

Chop 1.5 coils off the front for 325mm hub to eyebrow

and flip the 2nd leaf on the rears.

with the front at 325 the rear should be around 320- 315 to get the rear sitting pretty.

good stuff thaks champ ill see how i go, when u say flip the second leaf are we talking from the top or bottom??

Second from the top. the one under the main leaf. should get the car around level if you chop the fronts 1.5 coils

Previous owner of my car flipped the 3rd and it was absolutelty dumped in the arse.

for what its worth having driven some OMG FULLY SIC cars (not corollas) I don't think its worth chopping springs...

I drove a hyundai excel x1 up and down parramatta road a few times (too many) with springs cut that low that it sat on the bump stops, and talk about BOUNCE!!! everybody thought I was doing it on purpose or something.... never again....

but hey, it is your car :P

Robert.

hey man yeah i know what your saying, one of my mates took 5" out of his falcon springs and it was on the bumpstops. looked really fukin awesome, drove like shit, scraped everywhere, couldnt take gutters or speedbumps, totally impractical, i just want a quick fix so the car looks alright, I'm happy to take 1.5 coils out

Take it from a retired springmaker; Cutting springs and flipping leaves, well it is just plain STUPID and DANGEROUS!!

I can't figure why you young blokes still continue with this practise. Save up the pennies. Spring sets and resetting aren't that expensive. For Christ sake THINK!!

hey lads, putting some hotwires and new tyres on my misses car tomorrow and I'm gonna have the shits and cain it with the grinder to lower it, I'm thinking bout chopping front coils, How much should i go along the coil, before i can afford new king springs, and how should i go about lowering the rear??? my mate has drop blocks for a hilux with the borg warner rear that hasnt been fitted so i can dummy some blocks of my own off his, or should i flip the leaves, is there a way of lowering the car for cheap until i can afford lowered springs, struts, shocks and reset leaves after i come back from my o/s holiday in a month??? the car gets driven bout 5k to and from work a day so I'm not overly concerned about dodgyness cause the new shit will be getting done asap cheers

Hang on, you want someone to do a dodgy suspension job on your partner's car, and then you're going to up and leave and go overseas and not be back for a month? Why do you even care what it looks like if you're not going to be around to see it/drive it? And if it only gets driven 5k a day to and from work, and "new shit" will be getting done in a (relatively) short period of time, what's the bloody point? Save yourself the time, money, hassle, and possible/probable legal problems (what happens if she gets pulled over and defected?) and just do it right the first time. I drove around in my car for 4 1/2 years before I finally saved up enough money to buy the suspension I wanted, just suck it up and wait.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Take it from a retired springmaker; Cutting springs and flipping leaves, well it is just plain STUPID and DANGEROUS!!

I can't figure why you young blokes still continue with this practise. Save up the pennies. Spring sets and resetting aren't that expensive. For Christ sake THINK!!

I in no way endorse the infomation i gave to this bloke. he asked, i told him the results of the previous owners work. I work at a springmakers, no reason for me to be riding around on chops and flips.

DattoFrog;

People will keep doing this as they see it as a "budget option". Sure, its not legal, but it gets them the results they want.

Custom car builders will chop coils a little to get the perfect stance.

I've said it on another forum, chopping springs can be done safely. as long as they remain captive and are re-tempered before use.

obviously if the springs are still captive, and you have only chopped the end of the spring with a grinder its still going to work as a spring, just your car will be a little bit closer to the bump stops, and thus might bottom out a little easier...

I'm still not quite sold on the idea of lowering a car either, for the amount of hassle it is to drive it around and the amount of hassle it is with the police picking on you. We still drive a standard height ke55 around and it handles pretty well ;)

But hey, at the end of the day it all comes down to this:

It is your car and you can do what you like with it!

Robert.

you f@$kers need to chill out and relax, i don't need life storys i just asked how to lower the car cheaply not witty self opinions , thanks but calm the f@$k down.

And our short answer is don't.

Say you wanted to sky-dive. Would you go and buy a parachute for $300, or make your own using a tent fly and some rope you had lying around. Suspension is a critical part of the car and something that should not be skimped on money-wise, both for yourself and fellow road-users.