1999 3 Fishermen Experiance Scary Event

TOMsGPTurbo

.....I don't really wanna hear about your 250kg next door neighbour taking a swim in the sea .... :D

In 1999, 3 fishermen in a 5.1m boat were fishing at the mouth of Brisbane river when their boat was suddenly towed several hundred metres at speed greater then 10 knots by something submerged which was pulling on the boats 20kg anchor.

"The boat spun around in the water like a cork, it flicked the boat like a match box in a bath tub" -John Campbell Witnessed it from The Longtom(a fishing boat)

"All I known is that if those guys had been in anything smaller, like a tinny it would have been goodnight" - Department of fisheries representative who witnessed the event from shore.

'The boat suddenly nose dived, ripping the cleat from the boat' - gentlemen on the boat in question.

-----

I have seen 2 extremely large Tiger sharks approx 6m in lenght (Both of them dwarfed a fishing boat near by) which could be blamed for towing the fishermen around. Another possibilty is a Dugong. Both Tiger sharks & Dugongs are not well known for their speed & best described to be as sluggish.

But beside a shark or Dugong I'm all out of logical answers for what could have intangled itself in a 20kg anchor + line and towed a boat at speed for a couple of hundred metres? On the 10th I checked out the mouth of the Brissie river and all around it, the channel is pretty deep so something very big & fast has direct access to the river.

What do you think it could have been?

-----

Have you seen or heard anything?

Thanks

Tom.

Members dont see this ad

Mini-Sub theory: when I was little my family was having a picnic by the river and I saw something that looked like a parascope it sorta came up and then went back down... no one believed me when I told them... could of been a sub? nah way to shallow where we where.... proberly a serpent of somekind... :D

Manta-Ray.. thats a bloodly big ray :) tho about the trace that reminds me of what my friend and I found ... a hook that wasn't snaped off... rather split/bitten but not accross it on an angle ... what ever did that had very sharp teeth.

I can't really see a large cod towing around a boat... mind you an anchored boat... yesterday I was in the water pulling on the anchor of a hire boat I used around Morton Island and even tho it was a small anchor once it dug into the sand it was near impossible for me to pull it out.

Who's up for a JAWS style hunt, go to the local butcher get half of a cow and barrel of blood.. drop it into some shallows in Morton Bay and see what comes along?

Tom

:)

how can we find out what it was?

Here is the plan:

nitephyre: your job is to collect as many road kill you can! and stuff.

Grim: Can you find a boat for a couple of hrs... say 5hrs :)

Ruts: You swim around like your injured ... and we'll tie a rope around your waist to pull you in before anything can get you :D

irokin: Your on the other side of the rope

Medicine_Man: You can monitor the systems and drive the boat

Grim and I can hold the camera's .... I might just watch from the shore :D

Ok, when are we leaving :D

Tom

:)