5k Is Overheating...any Ideas?

KNG_555

Hey guys ive got a 5k with extractors/2.5 inch exhaust 32/36 DGV carbi. Unsure of cam/head work.

My 5k engine hits 3/4 on the temp after its been running for a while, i've checked if temp gauges etc were faulty by an auto electrician but there all fine...i recently did a pressure test on the radiator (my radiator has water in it) pumped 13 psi and seemed to hold pressure just fine, i did pump it up and pull all spark plugs out and turned over the engine, abit of sum water/mist came out of cylinder 1 and 3... which means might have slight head gasket crack right? but unsure if thats why its over heating...

Also there is no thermostat in my 5k..which means my car will only be over cooling right? So that can't be the problem to the over heating...? I'm thinking of flushing the water out and replacing with coolent..but it wont make that much of a difference..surely that can't be why its over heating. I'm thinking of putting a thermostat in..as my car didnt come with one.. just running out of ideas what the problem can be.

If any one has any help please let me know..as i jus put rego and now can't drive it peacfully!! :S

Cheers

john

Members dont see this ad

Are you sure it's even over heating??? Did it used to only read half way and it has only started doing this? Or is this the 1st time you've run the engine and this is what it went to?? It may have an in correct reading from using the temp sender in the 5k with the 3k/4k thing in the dash.

Try hooking up an after market temp gauge and see what it says?

wen i first got it (no rego) just had it idling in garage..no problems... as i got rego and started driving it after about 20mis to 30mins of driving its fine...but after that wen i hit traffic it hits 3/4 maybe even higher, ive popped the bonnet while running(wen temp was hot) and radiator isnt steaming etc like the engine isn't actually hot....

I'm thinking of hookin another temp gauge...but don't think i have one...

cheers

well if coolant leaks into the combuston camber at 13psi imagine whats going on when the air/fuel is being ignited at (180psi),

also having no shroud will cause it warm up alot because the fan isnt sucking air from the radiator, its just sucking it from the engine bay

just try put the shroud back on go for a drive and see if theres a improvement

also try giving the fins on the radiator with a high pressure spray from the car wash just incase its blocked

Edited by Evan G

If there is build up in the motor and radiator, put a cup of diesel in the radiator, drive it around for a while (get it up to temp) then flush it out. Fill back up with water, drive it around and flush it, keep doing this until the water is clear (mabey up to 4times)

I had a similar issue this worked for me.

Is it actually overheating? As in is there copious steam coming out the overflow, or is it just running hotter than usual.

First - Put a thermostat in, it's an 8 buck part. Common misconception that it runs cooler, I think you'll find it will tend to run hotter.

Second - Put coolant in, it has better thermal properties than water.

Third - Put the fan shroud on, you'll get better cooling.

If these 3 things don't work, come back to us then.

also having no shroud will cause it warm up alot because the fan isnt sucking air from the radiator, its just sucking it from the engine bay

Shrouds don't prevent hot air from the engine bay coming through. When you have a shroud, the suction from the fan creates low pressure in between the radiator and the shroud, ensuring that air is drawn through the total radiator area, which ensures your full radiator surface area is being used efficiently.

If there is build up in the motor and radiator, put a cup of diesel in the radiator, drive it around for a while (get it up to temp) then flush it out. Fill back up with water, drive it around and flush it, keep doing this until the water is clear (mabey up to 4times)

I had a similar issue this worked for me.

I'd use a bottle of proper radiator flush - putting diesel in a Radiator seems fairly unwise to me.