Snapped Axle

1975ke30

As title suggests I've snapped an axle in my KE30, the part of it that fits into diff still remains inside(stopping me from removing my diff :) )

Any suggestions to getting it out(preferably without removing diff housing)?

And if too much hassle would I be alright chopping part of the affected axle off so only one wheel spins, but so I can still bolt it back up(have a welded diff)?

Or if possible to remove the stuck part of axle, mine being a banjo type, would a borg warner axle fit(as these are much easier to find for me)?

Few questions but any suggestions/ experience will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

Rolliac the problem is because the axle spline has snapped off inside the diff, and mine being a banjo(comes out from tailshaft side rather than the BW which comes out from other side) they require axles be removed before the diff can be removed, and this part thats still in there is stopping me from removing diff.

And thanks Rob I kinda thought that would be the case, think I may have read it somewhere sometime awhile ago but couldn't find where.

Actually not certain how I did it, since I've had the diff welded I've taken it off road, thrashed doughies and driftin in the wet and dry and it's never given me any grief until now, I was demonstrating my locked diff on a mates lawn when I noticed it, small clunking at first then 2mins later down the road i knew I'd caused my self trouble, so I have two theories, number 1 being the constant abuse slowly f'd it up, or 2 being possibly one wheel was on the grass and the other on the road.

Only thing I'm certain of is the bloke who welded the diff for me wasn't lying when he said I wouldn't kill the diff again(of which originally I chewed 4 teeth from doing a simple roll back on mates driveway)

It is surprising because I am only running a 4k.

Just another thought if worst comes to worst would a BW diff, housing and axles from a KE70 go into my 30? I know they're a bit wider(40mm I think? but please don't quote me on that)but that shouldn't matter should it? Only other option is obtaining a U series housing, diff etc from an old celica (I believe TA22 had same size) and converting from leaf to spring but i guess these are just as hard to come by as a banjo setup, especially here in Perth.

What rolliac means is to remove the whole rear axle setup from the car and and bang it one the ground, broken axle side down.

The piece of axle will fall out of the diff head and get stuck behind the wheel bearing! :)

Then pull the crown wheel/diff assembly out and tip it up the other way to get the piece of axle out.

What rolliac means is to remove the whole rear axle setup from the car and and bang it one the ground, broken axle side down.

The piece of axle will fall out of the diff head and get stuck behind the wheel bearing! :no2:

Then pull the crown wheel/diff assembly out and tip it up the other way to get the piece of axle out.

:)

as far as I know bw ke55 axles are interchangable with ke30 jap diffs... i think.... been a long time and I've forgotten what parts came from what car :)

Robert.

Wrong.

Jap diffs use jap axles, BW diffs use BW axles.

You can't interchange the axles due to spline differences.

Ahh sorry Rolliac my mistake :) .. Yeh pretty much looks like the path I'm going to have to take.

Thanks raven for confirming the incompatibility.

And when i said obtain U series diff from celica, surprised noone picked up on that, obviously meant T series

I used to have shitloads of links with info for interchangeable parts between old toys but upgrading windows has meant they're no longer with me so sorry for, what would seem to most of you, as silly questions.

can't take one axle out and then use a rod through the other side to push it out?

Sadly, no. There's a shaft in the way that prevents this.

where have you snapped the axle? Mine have always, without exception, sheared at the spline. Therefore the diff has always come out of the carrier easily and I've been able to knock the remains of the axle out on the bench.

yeah unfortunately AltezzaClub and Redwarf are correct, pinion gear shaft is in the way from pushing through.

Followed Rolliac's advice of removing whole diff housing and smashing on ground, this got enough of the broken axle out for me to remove my diff, but part of the spline is still stuck in there

When you say you knocked the remains out on a bench Redwarf how did you accomplish this? I was using Rolliac's suggestion but it only got part of it out, and I was smashing pretty hard, also remember I can't push it into the centre of the diff because being welded on the spider gears there's no way of getting it afterwards