2t-c/3t-c Into Ke55

cactusbob

Hey asking this on behalf of a mate, he thinks that a 2t-c/3t-c will drop straight in to a ke55 coupe, with out changing the engine mounts?

had a look around the site and couldnt find any information regarding this.

If it doesn't drop straight in, does anyone know what engine mounts would be needed?

cheers,

Cactus Bob

Members dont see this ad

don't think there bolt in ,but if you look up a 2tg converstion will give you a bit of idea as there the same block.

I recall some think about ta22 mounts but not 100% sure .

But some one will no , I no there bloody close fit though.

Really unhelpful i no :P

rob

• 3 months later...

it isnt a straight bolt on ,

not to far off though

the angles are slight are slightly different ,

i ground of the 3k mounts and got the 2tbmuonts and all into place then welded them to the cross member

works a treat , and with a coat of black paint looks original.

Does anybody know the angles (from the horizontal) of the mounts on the T engine crossmember (from TA22/T18)?

The dimensions between the K and T crossmember are in an diagram in this thread:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=40489

There is an error for the angle of the K crossmember mounts, which has been corrected. But there is uncertainty in the T crossmember angle.

I've measured the K crossmember mounts to be ~60 degrees.

Then for the T crossmember mounts, the passenger side is 55 degrees, and the drivers side 45 degrees. That's estimating from the engine block mounts, but I don't have a TA22/T18 crossmember to confirm this.

it isnt a straight bolt on ,

not to far off though

the angles are slight are slightly different ,

i ground of the 3k mounts and got the 2tbmuonts and all into place then welded them to the cross member

works a treat , and with a coat of black paint looks original.

Does anybody know the angles (from the horizontal) of the mounts on the T engine crossmember (from TA22/T18)?

The dimensions between the K and T crossmember are in an diagram in this thread:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=40489

There is an error for the angle of the K crossmember mounts, which has been corrected. But there is uncertainty in the T crossmember angle.

I've measured the K crossmember mounts to be ~60 degrees.

Then for the T crossmember mounts, the passenger side is 55 degrees, and the drivers side 45 degrees. That's estimating from the engine block mounts, but I don't have a TA22/T18 crossmember to confirm this.

are you talking about the (L) marked angle on the TA22 thats indicated as 40' i have my ta22 crossmember out atm i can get the angle either tonight or early tomorrow just need confirmation if this is the angle required

Yes, that's the angle. Or if its easier, from the horizontal, to get a flat base for the protractor to sit on. Both engine mounts would be good. Thanks. Would help heaps.

I'm putting a 3T in my ke30 at the moment. I have followed the dimensions in that crossmember diagram. I drilled out the welds in the K engine mounts, and moved them ~30mm further forward, adding extensions. I changed the angles to what I measured from the engine block mounts. Then moved them towards the passenger side by distances indicated in the diagram. Left mount 7mm and right mount 14mm towards the passenger side (taking into account the angle changes).

The engine sits nicely in the engine bay, up vertical and flat, with the factory position of the T50 gearbox, but the engine still sits closer towards the driver side (brake master cylinder) about 2-3 cm; when compared with TE31/Te35 engine bay photos from Japan and USA. Can get away with it, but want it perfect.

Was thinking the angle of the mount surface could be out, since there is little room for the driver side mount to move further over.

are you talking about the (L) marked angle on the TA22 thats indicated as 40' i have my ta22 crossmember out atm i can get the angle either tonight or early tomorrow just need confirmation if this is the angle required

I think the 2t/3t engine conversion in ke30/ke55 was common in the 80's. I've heard the T-engine can sit on the K engine crossmember with ta22 mounts, but will be too far back and over to the driver side. Another thing that people might have done was drill a hole a few centimeters back on the (ta22) engine block mounts to bring the engine further forward. Bit dodgy and amateurish. Would be best to set it up properly with new engine mounts or modify the K crossmember.

Here's a guy that put a 2tg into a ke55 by drilling further back on the ta22 mounts, but he later modified the crossmember:

http://ke55.1colony.com/

Hey asking this on behalf of a mate, he thinks that a 2t-c/3t-c will drop straight in to a ke55 coupe, with out changing the engine mounts?

had a look around the site and couldnt find any information regarding this.

If it doesn't drop straight in, does anyone know what engine mounts would be needed?

cheers,

Cactus Bob

Here's a diagram that I got from Jonny Rochester; K and T engine cross member:

post-926-1271941804_thumb.jpg

Then one I got from a 1975 Corolla & Trueno repair manual (body):

post-926-1271941963_thumb.png

There are slight difference in the distances, but not significant, however the angle L is 40 degrees in the first diagram and 45 degrees in the other. Not sure which one is right.

Edited by bruce