New P Plate Law

it's a good start. government-endorsed or -sponsored or -REQUIRED driver training is what's really needed

and for everyone. young people, old people, middle aged people, men, women, 4x4 drivers, truck drivers, car drivers, motorcycle riders, pushbike riders - if you're on public roads then you can benefit from some sort of defensive driver training

i look forward to the day when everyone has to re-sit their license test every 5 or 10 years, then there wouldn't be so many jerks on the road and driving around other human beings would be an enjoyable experience most, if not all, of the time

I agree with all of you, but as we all know driver trainning is great and can save a life but I have seen guys go to driver trainning as come out thinking "now that I know how to handle a car I can go even faster".

I know what can happen when things go wrong and I have seen it from all sides of the fence. I am involved in motorsport, I have lost a few mates due to road deaths and I work in the funeral industry and this year in Canberra alone 12 have died on our roads and we are only 6 months in (gone are the days when Canberra would have no road deaths or if not at the most 2 or 3). Not all of them young not all in cars but still 1 road death a year is 1 to many.

All I can say is the introduction of the imported cars like the Skylines etc... was a very bad thing as it seems that the main market for them is with guys under 21 years that can not handle them.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all of you, but as we all know driver trainning is great and can save a life but I have seen guys go to driver trainning as come out thinking "now that I know how to handle a car I can go even faster".

what a fantastic type of person to disallow behind the wheel of a high powered car then

in everything you do, there are going to be people who are tools and ruin the fun for everyone, and that's what the law is for

A similar, although by the sounds of it, not quite as harsh law as been in force in Victoria since 1989. I had it when I was on P's. It did, amongst other things reduce part of the carnage down there.

Vote one for "good thing"

Now we just need some special licence testing for anyone who drives vehicles over about 1600kg to stop morons getting behind the wheel of oversize vehicles like Land Cruisers and Patrols. It's scary to see some of the crazy shit they do on the roads since they often have no idea of where other traffic is, or usually they just don't care about anyone else because they're in the bigger vehicle.

I think the licencing should be based on the weight of the vehicle (not just 4WD's) because people have to realise that the greater the weight of their vehicle, the greater the momentum and the longer it takes to stop (and it also causes far more damage when they don't stop).

I think the licencing should be based on the weight of the vehicle (not just 4WD's) because people have to realise that the greater the weight of their vehicle, the greater the momentum and the longer it takes to stop (and it also causes far more damage when they don't stop).

I totally agree with that. I'm only on my P's but am still able to drive a 4 tonne truck. Which I have had the experience in doing. It's not the easiest thing to do and when you load it up with a shite load of computer gear it makes it that much more harder to slow down. Forget about stopping in a hurry it's just not going to happen.

After driving all day in a 4 tonne truck and then getting in my lil rolla to go home is the biggest change I have ever experienced. And it's scary that a 17 year old (I'm 18 but you all know that you get your P's when you're still 17) is legally allowed to drive such a big vehicle.

Edited by Jero

You have all hit the nail on the head, good to see some people thet think the same. I bet if you got onto a forum where the young owners of these cars hang out you would have a price on you head.... :P

But then it is them and the way they drive on the streets that has made the new laws. :n:

I can definitely relate to that Grimwolge. I've been on my opens since 2001 as well, and I am still VERY cautious about driving higher performance cars. I drove an R33 Skyline GTS-25t not so long ago and that thing was scary fast. As it wasn't my car I was extremely cautious about tapping the accelerator too hard coming around corners (I could just imagine boost kicking in and the tail kicking out), but gave it hell in a straight line. It's really quite scary to think how many P-platers and unexperienced drivers are getting there hands on these cars. Just think how many R33 GTS's you see getting around.

Top speed doesn't concern me quite as much as acceleration. I figure there aren't too many places where you can really open a car up and get to that 200kph, but if you've got a car with good acceleration, it's easy to double speed limits in the city or suburbs. Now that's scary.