Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Efficiency And Safety Of Oil "stop Leak" Additives

Featured Replies

Is that after the gasket goo 4k gasket?

if the next sump gasket fails, then gasket goo if that fails THEN WELD (I'm joking I'm not that much of a butcher :) )

next one I do will have some sort of expensive silicone type sealant on a rubber gasket....

 

mine weeps a little bit, although I think my crankcase pressurises a smidge too much sometimes (at 8000rpm) which could be a drama...

 

when the engine goes in the next car I'm revising the crankcase breathing system and catch can...

 

Robert.

You won't be able to run just gasket goo, no gasket on a K engine.

 

I'd like to see how you go with the crankcase breather rob, that's an interesting point. Although I've just got a filter on the rocker cover.

  • Author

Thank you for the info and advice, everyone. I've just bought

a gasket and see how it goes.

 

Those of you who still had leaks after replacing the gasket, is there

perhaps some nut tightening sequence which has to be followed,

like that for the cylinder head ?

 

 

The other type is an additive which softens the rubber in "hard" seals -

ie low km but very old.

 

If the seal is worn out, it obviously won't fix the problem. This type of

additive will not do anything bad to your engine.

 

Robert.

 

 

I had thought that these products contained some kind of sealing

compound, which collected in and automatically helped to seal any

cracks or crannies in the engine block and gaskets, much like those

radiator seal products ?

There might be a sequence, I can't quite remember. The problem with fat rubber gaskets is that you tighten a couple of nuts, go back to the first one and it's loose again. You need to tighten them in very small increments so it all pulls up evenly.

 

Torque settings are very low, like 5Nm.

I'm sure you all know this, but I'll say it anyway.

 

Make sure you "tap" down all the bolt holes to make the sump surface flat again.

 

I find the ball from a ballpein hammer and a piece of wood underneath works well. Heat resistant red sealant and the cork gasket.

 

NONE of my sumps leak!!

 

How tight? When you see the gasket just starting to spread...tight enough

 

good luck all

You could also try that copper gasket cement.

 

Pull the sump and sump gasket out, create an EVEN bead on both sides of the gasket. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes.

 

Once it becomes tacky, fit up the sump with the gasket and tighten in the same sequence used that you would tighten head gasket with.

 

If you're smart enough, remove the stud from the timing cover when the whole thing is off and replace it with a bolt as it makes it much easier if you have to pull the sump out in the future.

 

Cheers and good luck!

or when you wanna go a cam upgrade you don't need to drop the sump

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.