Newbie ---rpm @100kph

mutley

HI Guys I am a newebie, so be gentle with me LOL.

I have recently bought a 1990 seca liftback AE 93.5 spd twin cam engine. 214000k's. its a bit of a ruffy!!! i have a couple of questions.

the engine is doing 3300 RPM @ 100KPH in 5th gear is this normal? as it feels like it needs another gear. it has 185/60/14 wheels.

It runs rough when it gets hot any ideas on why and what i need to do to fix?

also it needs another bonnet is there a variety of models(sedan?) that use the same bonnet or do i need to get one from a lift back?

Also i wiould like get pair of front seats are there seats out there that will bolt straight in that are more comfy?

Apart from that its a great little car!

Cheers mark

Members dont see this ad
my ke70 runs about 5500 rpm at 100km/h

What!? Sounds a bit high! I had a 4.3 diff and a 3 speed traumatic and that was only 4200rpm at 100kmph. What kinda diff ratio are you running :)

As for the OP, that RPM sounds about right. When you say it runs rough when it gets hot do you mean engine temperature or ambient temperature?

HI Guys I am a newebie, so be gentle with me LOL.

I have recently bought a 1990 seca liftback AE 93.5 spd twin cam engine. 214000k's. its a bit of a ruffy!!! i have a couple of questions.

the engine is doing 3300 RPM @ 100KPH in 5th gear is this normal? as it feels like it needs another gear. it has 185/60/14 wheels.

It runs rough when it gets hot any ideas on why and what i need to do to fix?

also it needs another bonnet is there a variety of models(sedan?) that use the same bonnet or do i need to get one from a lift back?

Also i wiould like get pair of front seats are there seats out there that will bolt straight in that are more comfy?

Apart from that its a great little car!

Cheers mark

I would be checking to see if the thermostat is opening all the way first... May as well just replace it, they're cheap. and easy to swap.

Secondly have a look to see if all the f*cking annoying little vacuum/anti pollution hoses are connected to something. If you see a loose hose, attempt to find where it goes. If you can't, just plug it with something and see if that makes a difference.

I would wager a tube has fallen off the cold start/idle enrichment system.

Also remove the intake from the manifold, visually inspect the throttle butterfly for corrosion around the edges, it may not be forming an adequate seal at idle. Its also possible the intake manifold itself is a little gunked up, spray a bit of carby cleaner in there with the engine at 2000rpm and watch the smokeshow :)

3300 is about right

The bonnet is specific to the seca... Hatch and sedan are different.

Seats from a csx, sx or RV variant are slightly better, and bolt straight in... Still nothing special though.

I would be checking to see if the thermostat is opening all the way first... May as well just replace it, they're cheap. and easy to swap.

Secondly have a look to see if all the f*cking annoying little vacuum/anti pollution hoses are connected to something. If you see a loose hose, attempt to find where it goes. If you can't, just plug it with something and see if that makes a difference.

I would wager a tube has fallen off the cold start/idle enrichment system.

Also remove the intake from the manifold, visually inspect the throttle butterfly for corrosion around the edges, it may not be forming an adequate seal at idle. Its also possible the intake manifold itself is a little gunked up, spray a bit of carby cleaner in there with the engine at 2000rpm and watch the smokeshow :)

3300 is about right

The bonnet is specific to the seca... Hatch and sedan are different.

Seats from a csx, sx or RV variant are slightly better, and bolt straight in... Still nothing special though.

HI folks, thank you all for such an informative and speedy reply.

i will start checking for those vacum hoses asap and get a can of carby clean, thermostat see where to go from there.

I was concerned about the revs, as my 98 camry auto sits on about 3300 in 3rd(top) then drops almost a 1000 rpm in overdrive so its good to know the seca is normal..

Its been a long time since i have had a corolla in fact it was a Ke 20 i think? with a 5 spd. about 20 yrs ago!!

I know now what to look for at the wreckers re my bonnet/seats. makes life a lot easier.

thank you again, you have been very helpfull!

Cheers Mark