Anybody Want An Apprentice???

Kid-Ae

I'm doing an Engineering apprenticeship and would highly reccommend it. What I do at work is more so "Textile Mechanic" but trade school side of things is "Fitting and Machining". I do a lot of fabrication at work so my welding skills come back accross in to my car hobby (bonus). Switching between tradeschool and work is good because I get to do a couple of different things in the week. If you want any more info I'm willing to chat on the phone just send me a PM. Apprenticeship is a Cert III eng, but you can do further study afterwards in avenues like hydraulics/pneumatics, CAD, tech drawing, advanced maths, welding etc... they all lead to higher certs and better pay / engineering manager type positions later if you so desire, if you've become good at your trade.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent my apprenticeship being called Kunta Kinte by the boss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunta_Kinte

It wasn't pleasant. I qualified and got the f@$k outta there. Now I'm nice, clean and warm.

i agree with mrmoparman........DON'T MAKE YOUR HOBBY YOUR JOB.

But it is a nice skill to have!!

To finish off my bullshit, i qualified as a mechanic. Not taking anything away from the builders, but if you haven't served time in a shop...well you haven't served time. No pay and no future. All mechanics will understand. Builders talk about working outside. Try, 2 degrees C, pissing rain and being told that radiator has gotta be fitted before you go home. Car is outside. Water running down your nose as you work!

Heated off? Not even a concept!

outdoor boys have it easy! gets to 37 and they all piss themselves!

You're not going home until the car is finished!

Bamboo

Edited by Bamboo

The best thing I ever did at uni was quit.

I was not willing to become pale and work indoors my whole life.

I do not regret the fun times I had, or even the time I spent. It lead me to a clear decision.

I always knew my technical aptitude was decent, but felt I should go to Uni at age 20 after I did some other more interesting things that were more passion than career. One was photography, one was skateboarding.

I hated the uni, I didn't have to commute or travel, It was cheap to do, and I had a job at a Skateshop so I had a nice little life going but I just had to get out of the uni.

Once I considered my options I decided to get a cabinetmaking apprenticeship. This took about 4 weeks. I was older, 21 by now and really wanted to do it. I worked hard, was never group training, and I had to move around a lot due to shady bosses and idiots that I couldnt stand working with (carrying). i worked at 4 places over a total of 3 years and one month and walked away qualified. I was so keen to finish I completed 8 weeks of TAFE in 8 days. Its amazing what being motivated can do.

Id give some advice if you are going into the building industry.

don't trust any employer when it comes to money, super, holiday loading and appropriate conditions. I was scammed by 2 of the 4 employers. The only real decent guy was the last one, but we were just 2 completely opposite people, we didnt exactly clash, but I just didnt feel at home there.

Do not sign up to any group training organisation. There are a million reasons why. If you really wanna be on a broom for 4 full years then go right ahead. If you do not make an immediate impact at a workplace (in a good way) your days will be numbered there and they wont bother to train you well or put any real interest into you.

Sign up to a private employer, expect that he will rip you off. don't be afraid to move jobs, ask for more responsibility/training and work hard. Make bets with your boss, I found this was a good way to make extra income. When I was an apprentice, I was able to supplement my income some weeks by betting the boss I could do things by a certain time. $100 bucks is a lot when your on 6.10 an hour.

Lastly, do not whinge, do not moan, do not complain openly about your pay at work. Everyone pays their dues. Its a certainty that the moment you open your mouth to whinge about the 6.10 you get each hour, the nearest tradesman will say, oh yeah, well I got 4.10 when I was an apprentice so STFU. They don't go handing out trade certificates to any one.