Anybody Want An Apprentice???

Kid-Ae

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, i was thinking carpentry and plumbing would also be good to apply for. I figure, with a deferral for one year from uni, i can decide whether or not i like whatever trade i choose, and then make the decision to stay on as an apprentice OR go back to study.

NOW, to look for an apprenticeship..

Only other problem is: Most places want an apprentice with a license and transport. I'm still 17.. ugh.

In my class at TAFE, there's only 2 guys with licenses. Most mechanics workshops you won't even be allowed to drive customers cars until at least 2nd year, if not qualified.

+1^^ i was 16 and a half when i started my apprenticeship!(15 when i done my pre app) I'm almost 19 and on 3rd year wage!

we have 2 people at work mature age apprentice, one is 23 and the other 25

ill be 21 when i finish and they will be 27 :blinks:

In my class at TAFE, there's only 2 guys with licenses. Most mechanics workshops you won't even be allowed to drive customers cars until at least 2nd year, if not qualified.

Not directly aimed at the automotive industry that comment, moreso at the vast majority of other trades.

The Building trades are screaming out for people at the moment. Plumbing is a good one to get into. Its mainly dirty work but the rewards are worth it.

Spot on about the Building trades. I am a 3rd year Joiner/Cabinet maker and whilst I am getting paid award wages by my boss, the government is trying to do their bit to keep me in the industry, by giving me like $2000 extra incentive a year. It's not only my trade that gets it, but alot of other low interest Building trades.

I know everywhere is different, but, just because you are a first year, doesn't mean you will get treated like shit and be on a broom all the time. I think alot of it has to do with your own initiative (if that is the word). Show your boss you are keen to learn NEW things and that you want to be more than a broom bitch and 'gofa'. Example is at my place of work. One guy, just finished his 1st year. Still knows f@$k all and doesn't get shown anything new because he has ZERO interest in anything, and just mopes around doing boring, mind numbing work. Where, another of our 1st years, in his 2nd month already knows the same, if not more than him, because he puts himself out there and is wanting to learn stuff.

Rambling aside, everyone will experience their apprenticeship differently. I say good luck to you in what ever way you go! A trade is always something you will be able to fall back on in the future :blinks:

Oh and that incentive is on top of a weekly tool allowance, and a $900(?) yearly 'Tools For Your Trade' bonus. So even though you might get paid less as an apprentice, you still do get a bit back in extra things. And having your own tools is a good feeling. :blinks:

well i was an apprentice years ago but me and my host had a mutual seperation i give you my advice just like everyone the pay is shit from the start unless you are over 21 then the pay the adult wages and when i was in mine i was known as a DIESEL FITTER and when you get quailified head to mines and you will be set when it comes to cash and career just my 2 cents worth for you

One day a mechanic's skills and time will be valued like that of a plumber or carpenter, because there will be so few of them out there as no one is entering the trade.

But that's not now, and I imagine it will be a tough ride.

I can guarantee you that what you want to do with yourself now, is probably not what you want to do with yourself when you are 30. The uni degree is a far better thing to have behind you than a mechanic's apprenticeship. Stick it out and transfer to something more interesting next year.

Failing that, look at other trades. For example CNC Machining. If you are good and work for the right kind of business, you can make some seriously cool stuff. And I guarantee its not as hard on your body, and will allow time to pursue your car interest. In fact you will have fun making bits for your car.

Welding/fabrication would be another option to consider.

How ever if you have your heart set on being a mechanic, try and get a gig outside of a dealership. A general workshop will equip you with broader experiences and different experiences which can only help in the long run.

One day a mechanic's skills and time will be valued like that of a plumber or carpenter, because there will be so few of them out there as no one is entering the trade.

But that's not now, and I imagine it will be a tough ride.

I can guarantee you that what you want to do with yourself now, is probably not what you want to do with yourself when you are 30. The uni degree is a far better thing to have behind you than a mechanic's apprenticeship. Stick it out and transfer to something more interesting next year.

Failing that, look at other trades. For example CNC Machining. If you are good and work for the right kind of business, you can make some seriously cool stuff. And I guarantee its not as hard on your body, and will allow time to pursue your car interest. In fact you will have fun making bits for your car.

Welding/fabrication would be another option to consider.

How ever if you have your heart set on being a mechanic, try and get a gig outside of a dealership. A general workshop will equip you with broader experiences and different experiences which can only help in the long run.

Well said, but be very very wary when going into CNC Machining. Apprentices tend to get used for cheap labor as operators (part pushers), depending on the type of work the CNC is used for.

i agree with what everyone has said here

DON'T MAKE YOUR HOBBY A CAREER

i wanted to be a mechanic since the age of about 7ish. finally got into the trade, got treated like shit and ripped off numerous times etc. by my 3rd year id seen the error of my ways and have been trying to get out ever since.

however now no-one wants a dryed up 27yo ex mechanic. the trade keeps on sucking you back in.

i can't even get into bloody tafe to do a pre apprenticeship! ive been applying for electrical, plumbing, engineering, horticulture, building etc (all apprenticeships) and in 4 years of sending out resumes, door knocking business' getting freinds to talk to their boss' etc, ive had 4 interviews and no job offers. :P

ive also found it impossible to get part time jobs (eg stacking shelves/pizza deliveries etc) as they think I'm too over qualified. so it would be near impossible to support myself if i COULD get into tafe/uni etc.

and at the end of the day.. I'm a fully qualified mechanic, with heaps of electrical experience (worth gold in the industry) speicalised in quite a few different parts of the trade over the years, heaps of certificates and shit from trade school... and my mates missus is a checkout chick at IGA.. she gets paid $3hr MORE than me.

yeah who'd wanna be a f**king mechanic!

(sorry for the rant.. i REALLY needed to get that off my chest)

Edited by MRMOPARMAN

I wouldnt be too stressed mate you are young....17....lots of time, last thing i would do is rush into something or get stuck in something that doesnt interest you etc.

I went to uni, straight science, into anatomy and physiology into health sciences and public health and in the end finished (1 year extra from my mind changes etc) and even at the end had no clue what i was going to do....happened to fall into a great private sector job and still there.

I remember being in a chemistry lab one day and it was all getting too hard lectures were over my head and the prac classes i fumbled through, lucky I'm 6 foot so i could look over ppls shoulders for answers lol....end of semester and i had failed chemistry and another i think.

That was the eye opener to me thinking...WTF am i doing this for when i don't like it and don't want to be a lab rat all my life....so i switched courses.

Similar to what you want to do.....everyone will have an opinion and have advice for you.....take it but still the decision is yours, don't let anyone pressure you either way, if it doesnt work out you learn from that and move on, lifes full of mistakes and difficult choices, as long as your happy, have enough cash to live its all good, like others said, people make career changes in their 30's to 40's now that takes some guts as generally its not just you to worry about its your families livelihood.....apparently the average person changes their career upto 3 times during their lifetime.

good luck mate.

• 1 month later...

It really depends where your at and how your boss treats you. trough out my whole apprenticeship Ive moved 3 places first one was Toyota as a first year and i really had no respect what so ever doing the dirty work. after that on my 2ND year i moved to a Mazda dealership and they treated me fine but i got bored working on the same cars day in day out and lost my intress in cars and wanted to do something else! i got invited to work for Gt-hyper a lil performance shop making from manifolds, turbo setups and building engines workshop is relaxing and layed back.. and I'm currently happy where I'm at now. so it all depends on how the boss runs the workshop. go around to workshops your interested in have a chat to the employees or boss and maybe you'll find a great place that will take you on as a apprentice.

John

Edited by Mr.Rolla