Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Engine Stand Dyno

Featured Replies

The 5K I bought off you recently is going just fine. I'll post a picture of it later. You won't believe how clean it now is.

 

 

Andrew, I promised you I would post you a picture of the 5K engine, to show you how clean it is now !

 

DSCF0331-vi.jpg

 

To fill you all in. This engine came from a KE55 that had been done up by someone, unknown. A 5K & K50 g/box had been added and the interior done up.

 

DSCF0345-vi.jpg

 

Anyway the cancer set in, and the car was doomed to be a "paddock basher" in a large orchard near Caloundra, where it was used to "get around" the orchard, on muddy tracks. When Andrew & I saw it, it had grass inside the car (growing I think) and you have never seen such a dirty engine. The car had more cancer that the Qld Health system, and there was only one place for the body. Back to Japan, to make more Toyotas.

 

Anyway, has just been completely cleaned, stripped, checked, valve grind & head skim; tested & ready to drop into my KE55 coupe.

Edited by Banjo

  • Replies 61
  • Views 58.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THAT THING f@$kING ROCKS!!! :D

*super jamie stamp of approval*

the things you can do with a welder and space

  • Author

Thanks Guys ! Glad you like it. Well I have had a theory for a while that I could design & build a waste spark ignition for the K series, that did away with the distributor altogether, but avoided the complicated crank & camshaft angle sensors, common to other engines. I had proved it on the bench, but needed to go the next step, & fit to my 4KU engine. I had already decided that crank angle sensing off the crankshaft pully was not ideal, and I wanted to go flywheel sensing, due the larger diameter, & therefore less angular error.

 

DSCF0355-vi.jpg

 

To work in this area experimentally, you need the engine out of the car. Not delighting in having the engine in & out of the car several times, besides the point that the KE55 is a daily drive for my better half, I decided a working test rig was the way to go.

 

I toyed with the idea of a donor Corolla body with everything cut away, exposing the engine. for easy access. I then decided a test stand couldn't be too hard to build, and three bits of 200mm x 50mm hardwood planks from the nursery supplier, & a few 10mm coach bolts & screws from Bunnings, and there it was. It took about 4 hours to put together, designed on the run. Believe it Jamie, not a weld in sight, or required. It's totally self sufficent, and has wheels so it can be stored in the corner of the shed.

 

DSCF0339-vi.jpg

 

Guages are a luxury, but for $ 15.00 for a set of 4 off 50mm units off eBay, I could not resist.

 

DSCF0348-vi.jpg

 

Some of you might have noticed the hand accelerator made from the height adjustor of an old Rover 4 stroke lawnmower. I'm quite proud of it.

 

DSCF0343-vi.jpg

 

Anyway, the 4KU came off for the 5K, which needs to go into the KE55 coupe soon as it's 4KC is on it's last legs.

 

Then back with the 4KU and finish off the ignition system. Actually I experimented with the flywheel sensors today on the 5K, and they seem to work out well.

 

I'll post you some pics tomorrow of the sensors I've tried today.

 

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone out there at all, who has had a go at putting a waste spark or crank sensing on a K Series motor.

 

:D

Edited by Banjo

  • Author

Thanks Jamie ! Next job after I get the ignition sensors going is to "map" the engine over a wide range of revs & loads, for optimum performance, to program the ECU.

 

I'm open to any suggestions as to what I could get the tailshaft to drive stationary, to put a variable load on it.

 

DSCF0356-vi.jpg

 

 

Things I might be able to get my hands on cheaply, could be a big water pump, which I could throttle it's output, or an electric generator driving some dummy variable loads. (fence wire in a 44 gallon of water =) )

 

Any thoughts greatfully accepted.

 

:D

You'll be pleased to know that Nick and I were having a conversation about this tonight....we've decided to make one....if not 2 (it looks fairly simple) from the spare parts in our sheds...:D

 

With all the stuff i have laying around (gauges, coil packs, timber, metal and of course engines) i'm sure we could knock one up in no time.

 

You've inspired me mate....you should be proud.....

 

PS. One will be for the use of the club, and the other might be my own personal one. =)

turn it in to a bit arse generator....... that will load it up....

we should come up with a system to measure torque, perhaps you could load up a torque wrench and see where it clicks or something. horsepower being merely a product of torque and rpm, we could make the rollaclub engine dyno :D

  • Author

I'll do a search on the web tonight & see if any one lists a home made engine Dyno. Wouldn't have to be too big. Maybe a water or drum dyno of some kind, like the chassis type, car wheel drive on ones.

 

Water is very easy to control, as it's only a bit of plumbing & valves/taps etc.

 

auto_dyno_in_cell_150-vi.jpg

 

dockingsation_faded_300-vi.jpg

 

dynoscale1-vi.jpg

 

enginedyno1big-vi.jpg

 

I can feel a project coming on !

 

:D

Edited by Banjo

  • Author

Oh, and we'll need some virtual dashboard / dyno software !

 

Anyone seen any good cheap virtual instrument software, that we can hook up to this Dyno ?

 

I've got access to plenty of data loggers & kilowatt hour measuring equipment.

 

 

:D

Edited by Banjo

SORRY...........meant to post in another thread.

Edited by TIMMMAAAAYYY

scott's old auto rubber

spectrum auto rubber

google or whitepages

start a new topic if you have a new question

 

acutally, perhaps the engine dyno thing should be its own topic too :D

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.