Engine Stand Dyno

Banjo

And while Xany has been madly welding this last weekend; what has that other Rolla nut been at . . . . ?

2005_0731Image0017-vi.jpg

Drilling little holes in 5K flywheel & gluing in little cylinderical magnets . . . . .

2005_0731Image0020-vi.jpg

2005_0731Image0021-vi.jpg

2005_0731Image0023-vi.jpg

. . . . and cutting little rectangular holes in bellhousings . . . .

2005_0731Image0026-vi.jpg

2005_0731Image0027-vi.jpg

. . . . and making brackets out of old 3K engine backing plates . .

2005_0731Image0031-vi.jpg

2005_0731Image0033-vi.jpg

2005_0731Image0035-vi.jpg

. . . . and making sure all pieces line up !

All will be revealed. Stay tuned !

:P

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats so cool!!!.....:bash:

trust me...a couple of weekends time and i'll have one made up....

i had evil thoughts and visions of a 4K powered buggy as i was welding that up on the weekend.....i think i'll stick to the orginal plan. :P

hey teddy, if you need pics of the engine hoist just let me know....i'll take some soon.

What did you use to cut the bellhousing? That's so neat

Aluminium is nice & soft & easy to work with. Mark hole with scribe or sharp point.

Drill series of holes around the inside edge. Join up holes & break out centre biscuit. Take coarse & fine files, and half an hour of patience, & hey presto !

i had evil thoughts and visions of a 4K powered buggy as i was welding that up on the weekend.....i think i'll stick to the orginal plan.

My 6 year old is constantly asking when we are going to put the wheels & seat on the "engine stand thingy" !

I think he has visions of screaming around the backyard in/on it !

* evil thoughts enter another RollaCluber's mind ! *

Edited by Banjo

lol its very nice work, but what is it?

a Fly wheel angle sensor or something?

Teddy is closest to the money !

As the Blackadder said . . . . . "I have a plan so cunning, you could pin a tail on it."

My guess would be that you're using the revolutions of the crank to trigger the ignition (since it spins at half speed of the cam and dizzy etc), and being much bigger could mean more accurate reading.

Just out of interest, could you have used a Hal effect sensor, effectively counting the teeth, instead of using a magnet? You'd have to worry that at high speed the magnet could come dislodged.

I don't mean to break the flow of creative juices flowing through this thread but I just gotta say this thread is blowing my mind.

Just amazing stuff there Banjo and I can't wait to see pics of Xany's completed project.........again just an amazing amount of talent on show.

My guess would be that you're using the revolutions of the crank to trigger the ignition (since it spins at half speed of the cam and dizzy etc), and being much bigger could mean more accurate reading.

Not quite Fook ! The other way around. The crank spins at twice the speed of the cam & dizzy. Well, it did last time I looked.

Therein lies the problem. All electronic crank sensing systems need a second sensing signal from a cam shaft sensor, or dizzy sensor like the Nissans, to tell the ECU whether the crank trigger is suppose to trigger cylinder no: 1 or cylinder no: 4 (in a 4 cylinder engine) TDC no:1 cylinder is the exact same rotational position as TDC no:4 cylinder, except one cylinder is on the end of it's compression stroke & the other is on the end of it's exhaust stroke.

The same conditions occur with cylinders nos 2 & 3, except they are another 1/2 turn on, of the crankshaft, usually requiring another sensor.

You are right about the flywheel providing greater accuracy, due to it's larger diameter.

Without lathes and accurate machining facilities, trying to do this on the crankshaft pulley, leaves a lot to be desired. I know a lot of aftermarket systems use brackets that bolt onto the lower front of the engine, but I want my bits & pieces hidden safely away at the back of the engine.

Stay tuned & all will be revealed. But please keep those comments coming !

• 2 months later...