Ae95r Gearbox

toy-ae92

Hi I'm having difficulties removing the gearbox form the 95r, have dropped the whole sub frame and got to the transfer case, also theres a diaphragm thing on the right of the transfer case with air hoses what that? any help would much be appreciated, all i need was to change a clutch...but now the whole car is apart

Members dont see this ad

Have done celica GT4 boxes which are quite similar, You have to pull the box off the dowels and rotate it slightly and then pull it away, Diaphragm sounds like the alltrac controller, Not sure how to remove it, Where are you located?

Have done celica GT4 boxes which are quite similar, You have to pull the box off the dowels and rotate it slightly and then pull it away, Diaphragm sounds like the alltrac controller, Not sure how to remove it, Where are you located?

Located South Australia northern suburbs. As well trying to remove the Transfer case off the engine, how the hell do i do that?

Edited by toy-ae92

• 1 month later...
Lol i doing it now.. I'm having issues too if you figure out a easy way give me a yell.

I had a great time removing my gearbox, I had to use a cold chisel to "crack the seal" just make sure you do it between the block and the steel plate so as not to mash up the alloy of the bell housing. The plate ended up pretty bent, but I just knocked it flat with a rubber mallet on wood.

once it was moved away from the block far enough to clear the dowels it moved freely. I had the engine hanging on the winch and a jack under the gearbox to rotate the box a little bit. Be careful not to let the gearbox hang on the input shaft.

the only other thing is to remove the vacuum diff-lock (diaphragm thingie) and remove all of the bolts that attach to the block and the gearbox supports. Some are hard to see and get to.

i don't think that there is any easy way to get the gearbox out, evertime i have done it ( a few times) i have pulled the whole lot out the top. in sections, because the gearbox in nearly shrink wrapped around the back of the motor i would think that you will have to lift and move the engine to get the box out the bottom. from memory there is 4 x 14mm(spanner size) bolts holding the vacum unit on, 2 from the side and 2 from the top.

Good luck

i don't think that there is any easy way to get the gearbox out, evertime i have done it ( a few times) i have pulled the whole lot out the top. in sections, because the gearbox in nearly shrink wrapped around the back of the motor i would think that you will have to lift and move the engine to get the box out the bottom. from memory there is 4 x 14mm(spanner size) bolts holding the vacum unit on, 2 from the side and 2 from the top.

Good luck

Mine Is going together now i have mounted the transfer case on the engine and made a trolley for the gearbox.

I think if i was going to do it again i would leave the transfer case attached spilt the gearbox from there.

I see how i go but using this method i was able to take the gearbox off by myself

If it works out ill share maybe it might help.

I gave myself two weekends to get the engine in, its taken 5 weeks (other problems) but i have learnt a lot will be alot easier next time.

I did a 20v conversion and know a guy with a GZE one and the consensus is you have to drop the motor and everything out the bottom, lift car over motor and then take the box off.

If you're feeling energetic and want to do another one when you're done mine's for sale with a bunk clutch :blinks:

I got mine back together today the idea i had to make it easier was no good.

Its hard getting the engine to mate with the gearbox took me 5hrs. Getting it back in was easier with the exhaust manifold off but you will need three people to guide it in. Ill start it up next weekend good luck with yours.