Ke70 With 17's- Who's Done It?

Hermit

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hat is off to you for doing to your car what you wants to do and more so for doing something different to every other JDm look-a-like drift pig wannabe Rolla.

Who cares what they think.

:wink:

But from my understanding. If nothing else has changed then your diff will still be turning exactly the same and if your overall diameter of your tyres is larger then you would clearly be travelling a further distance for each rotation of the wheel.

Your bang on.

Drag cars run a shorter diff to compensate for the larger rear tyres circumference.

:wink:

well, a quick update.

Hasnt worked as well as i hoped :)

spacing the wheels out like we did caused the rotors to push back into the dust covers, rather than pushing the wheels out. so bigger spacers and longer studs are coming next. been a pita to get these to fit, but honestly, when you see them in person, its worth all the effort. As for insurance, no chance. Sure I could get it insured, but would never really be covered, itd just be a waste of money. my weekend car is a 1992 nisssan 300zx so the slower acceleration in the e7 isnt a worry haha.but anyway, thanks for the replies.

Your bang on.

Drag cars run a shorter diff to compensate for the larger rear tyres circumference.

:P

Drag cars run whatever diff ratio they need to hit top speed right before the finish line, doesn't matter what the tyre size is.

If your hitting top speed too early, say at 300m then you might go to a taller diff to try and get a higher top speed. If you can't achieve top speed before the end of the track then you will get a lower diff ratio installed and then be able to get to a higher speed faster. Its a balance. Tyre size is something which affects the ratio you will choose but is not the sole determining factor. The fastest way down the 1/4 mile is.

Ok. Well sorry for previously saying my thoughts. Next time when I am not 100% sure I will make sure that I say my understanding was this or something along those lines instead of just saying it. I am here to learn and I do care on others thoughts and what is right and wrong.

Brake wise I was going to be running the same as my vl which will need at least 16's. Vt commodore brake upgrade using r32 skyline 4 piston front calipers. They just foul on 15's. But have since decided that the corolla being alot less weight then the vl I'll just stay with the vt twin piston calipers instead of 4 piston skyline ones. So will be running 15's on it. I personally always try and choose tyre sizes that are as close to the factory rolling diameter as possible. And am looking at trying to run some 275/35/15's on the rear of my wagon which are only 4mm overall rolling diameter smaller then 165/75/13's. Not to sure what front tyre size I'd like to run yet though.

And I find this thread quite interesting. Everyone is free to express their opinions and thoughts. Just have to remember that were only humans and can often forget little things like saying that is my understanding of it or I thought it was...? Especially when were tired lol. Anyways I have learnt from this thread and be more carefull with my thoughts in the future.

Also for those interested here is that calculator I was talking about to work out rolling diameter of trye sizes etc.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

and here is an example using the 165/75/13's and 275/35/15's

http://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/tirescgi

Matt.

Edited by wpn36

Looks horrible, all these cars fail.

fair enough youre entitled to your own opinion, but the title and intention of this thread was to see who else has done it, and how. not to gauge reactions.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

This car is my daily driver, so I'm not too worried about performance losses lol. Its still pretty high off the ground, but the wheels sit up in the guards nicely, So I think It looks good. I was looking at smaller wheels, but couldnt find any I liked, and they were all overpriced. These cost me 180 with tyres, so couldnt say no! Also, I wasnt a big fan of 3 spoke wheels either, but was surprised just how well these suited.undersandably there not to everyones taste, but its my car so I'll do it to my tase, no matter how bad my taste may be.:)

mate it looks good I'm not a fan of 3 spokes but it looks real good

noticed my link don't work for the tyre size comparison. so here.

th_tyressize.jpg

also hoosier are the only one's that i can find and they are $441 each listed on there site. will also be running 275/40/16 hoosier's on my vlt which are also $441 each on there site.

under this heading HOOSIER Racing Tires - (CIRCUIT) Sports Car D.O.T - Radial so not even sure if they are street legal, yet to check.

http://www.hoosiertireaustralia.com.au/