The Rebuild Of Slw42 Version 2.0 Ke55 Coupe

Members dont see this ad

well i started prepping and testing some paint on a full panel the other day shall look awsome when finished

Sounds good :).....................Tho wait for this bad weather to bugger off, aint no good for painting metallics out of a booth.. that is for sure!!!!!!

Lookin forward to some progress pics..

• 2 weeks later...

so today was a very eventful day i managed to put up the other carport to use and my make shift spray booth as well the other one blew away and became a wreck back in the heavy winds of november so once i did that i placed the car in the booth it was already prepped yesterday and so then it was time to hook up a mates compressor and begin putting the colour on

its only the first coat and i have this week to tweak and finalise everything before all jap day i will through some pics up and if you see some blemishes i will be trying to attend them the best i can

enjoy the pics people

Ps i know that i one pic my underware is showing but i didnt take them pics

post-8250-0-43835900-1360489009_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-44360900-1360489147_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-53486600-1360489250_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-92358900-1360489303_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-84479000-1360489345_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-17622300-1360489407_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-43409100-1360489464_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-58045500-1360489544_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-41347300-1360489607_thumb.jpg

post-8250-0-97407200-1360489646_thumb.jpg

I really like the colour, is it that new toyota blue????? what pressure are you running? What sort of gun and nozzle size do you have? and what size of fan are you producing?

the colour is called cyan metallic and well i am using a gravitiy feed gun and not to sure or the nozzle size or the fan size sorry but its not perfect but its heaps better than before

don't stress fella, not having a go at you at all if thats what your thinking, just trying to help. Reason why i ask is when you have a good, wide fan it helps eliminate spray lines, and if its a low pressure gun, 30 psi could be a good starting base, give or take. Things like this is just trial and error until you get a good flow. Keep up the good work, be good to see it finished!

cheers!

don't stress fella, not having a go at you at all if thats what your thinking, just trying to help. Reason why i ask is when you have a good, wide fan it helps eliminate spray lines, and if its a low pressure gun, 30 psi could be a good starting base, give or take. Things like this is just trial and error until you get a good flow. Keep up the good work, be good to see it finished!

cheers!

yea i didnt take it as you having a go at me i just don't know much about spray painting by the gun its my first attempt so now i can learn for that lol i do appreciate the advice by any member on here it will prep me for the next time i need to paint lol

Hey Chris....sounds like you`re doing ok on it mate....

Metallics are a pain to paint...at the best of times. Are you using acrylic/thinners,given the set up i think you are...otherwise if 2 pac you be lucky to still be healthy...

Make sure you mix pretty close to normal guidlines....when i was doing the ke38,i had a 1 litre tin...2 litre tin. fed from the 4 litre colour tin into the 1 litre measure...poured that into the 2 litre tin,then 1.5 litre of thinner or close enough added into the paint in 2 litre tin...

MIX MIX STIR STIR N STIR IT WELL

Then i fed my gravity gun...small pot on mine from the mixed paint in 2 litre tin...giving me kinda a better consistancy...

Stand approx 6 inches from the surface (side of the car) and hold the wrist fairly square to the surface whilst making(don't arch-swivel your wrist) passes with spray gun....i was over lapping on each pass....with metallics i found it was a build up to get nice coverage (some times 3-4 passes with dry off time inbetween)...if you are starting each pass from same location..eg from the top to the bottom of panel,maybe try reverse...go from bottom to top with passes...

Gun set up is like clapped out said...hit n miss...eventually you find what works well...a wide fan is best but with that the paint feed must also be opened up to suit or you spray too dry.......paint will look see through and feel like 360 grit wet n dry when you rub hand over it dried...also have a play with the amount of air coming into the gun at the hose connection end...

Hope this helps...i am by no means a proffessional painter...spent many years doing my paint work with a little beaver set up...lol......and yes i know every part of that wild violet paint on the ke38 that i have to fix...a couple more litres will see it how it should be....as a rule 4 litres don't strecth far enough for good coverage...sometimes need 6 -8 litres i have found.

Keep up the good work mate..

• Upvote 1

Hey Chris....sounds like you`re doing ok on it mate....

Metallics are a pain to paint...at the best of times. Are you using acrylic/thinners,given the set up i think you are...otherwise if 2 pac you be lucky to still be healthy...

Make sure you mix pretty close to normal guidlines....when i was doing the ke38,i had a 1 litre tin...2 litre tin. fed from the 4 litre colour tin into the 1 litre measure...poured that into the 2 litre tin,then 1.5 litre of thinner or close enough added into the paint in 2 litre tin...

MIX MIX STIR STIR N STIR IT WELL

Then i fed my gravity gun...small pot on mine from the mixed paint in 2 litre tin...giving me kinda a better consistancy...

Stand approx 6 inches from the surface (side of the car) and hold the wrist fairly square to the surface whilst making(don't arch-swivel your wrist) passes with spray gun....i was over lapping on each pass....with metallics i found it was a build up to get nice coverage (some times 3-4 passes with dry off time inbetween)...if you are starting each pass from same location..eg from the top to the bottom of panel,maybe try reverse...go from bottom to top with passes...

Gun set up is like clapped out said...hit n miss...eventually you find what works well...a wide fan is best but with that the paint feed must also be opened up to suit or you spray too dry.......paint will look see through and feel like 360 grit wet n dry when you rub hand over it dried...also have a play with the amount of air coming into the gun at the hose connection end...

Hope this helps...i am by no means a proffessional painter...spent many years doing my paint work with a little beaver set up...lol......and yes i know every part of that wild violet paint on the ke38 that i have to fix...a couple more litres will see it how it should be....as a rule 4 litres don't strecth far enough for good coverage...sometimes need 6 -8 litres i have found.

Keep up the good work mate..

thanks tezza really appreciate the advice same with clapped out i might have a play around with the gun settings some more when sunlight is up

its all been a fantastic learning curve for me and hoping that i can get it to the all jap day