91 4wd?

boxolla

hey there rollaholics, I'm not too sure how crazy this may sound but ill ask anyway. i have a 91 cs(?) hatch coming into my possession. not even real sure if its an ok car or not to be honest. i've never known any1 with one. known of a few of the 80 models and they were good. but any way... i was looking over the web for some specs and stuff and come across the sr5. i thought wicked idea but i don't really like the body. so my question is.... what sort of shit am i going to get my self into if i was going to try and convert my little FWD watch to 4WD???

any ideas, pics or links would be great as reference and study.

thanks all.

Members dont see this ad

if you are talking about using a AE95 4x4 wagon as donor , the rear set up is 5 link ( live axle) very similar (or the same) as a AE86 sprinter, the front set up is basically the same as a front drive AE9x series, just need a bigger tunnel and rear floor. i would think find a rusty 95 and pull it apart.

"and just fit a rear floor" you make it sound easy, familiar with cut'n'shuts?

ive not done anything like this before, but to me it seems that it may be easier to fabricate up new suspension mounting points (out of square section steel, almost like "tubed chassis" style) rather than try and combine 2 differnet floor plans together.

you would need to re-arrange the rear end of the corolla to be able to physically fit the diff under there, which may involve fabricating up a whole new rear end. flooplan, mounts, rear suspension..the list goes on. and also make way for the tailshaft.

a 5 link rear end has the beauty that so long as the mounting points are in the right place, then the diff will happily work in there so long as there is enough room. so you can do whatever you want to get the mounting points in the right place, and its not limited to combining floor plans.

if you were trying to shoe-horn an IRS drive setup it may be some what more difficult, though i guess you could try and transplant the entire cradle in there (like the infamous s13 rear end into a sprinter) but you would still need some decent reinforcement on the mounting points.

either way its going to be a pretty serious task, and its not just the fabrication that will be hard, actually working out where all the suspension geometry goes wont be eay (thats an entirely different subject, with hundreds of books around trying to explain it).

the car may end up being 4wd at the end, but if it is all setup wrong, it will be pretty terrible to drive.

won't work with just making relocation points because as you say you will find the diff needs a lot more room. That's why you will find FWD cars almost always have a deeper floor.

The way you could line up the rear end is to get a digital angle gauge on each of the suspension arms and then when your done check that their all the same, however swapping the whole floorpan should take care of that one. Your right though about it being a very serious project.

I was thinking about converting a ae82 corolla to a rear wheel drive and having a big HP engine in it but its a heck load of work.. :D

I was going to cut n' shut the whole thing with ae71 parts. :rolls: