4kc Running Ruff As In A Ke70

73KE20

ok, ive got my 4k its running very rough, like almost on 2 or 3 cylinders

ill give you a little history, ive just had the manifold machined with a new gasket, just had new points, condenser, plugs, leads, timing done, now i had an issue with the idle circuit and the mechanic got it running quite well,

but i was driving it the other day and it starting to miss under load, and then got progressively worse untill it would only just keep alive, and now when ive tried to start it, it backfires out the carby and smells really rich, ive checked all the usual things and there no milkyness under the oil cap

could it be a carby issue or a headgasket inbetween bores? or something else?

Edited by 73KE20

Members dont see this ad

hey mate, sucks its running bad after all that new stuff!

are you able to do a compression test?

are the plugs fouled up?

you checked the points gap since its been running rough?

hows the dizzy cap looking?

backfiring out the carby is interesting.....dizzy hasnt slipped its position?

does it free rev? (ie rev in neutral)

plugs seem fine, nah havnt got the tools for the compression test at home,

um i just had it idling and i removed the plug leads, it seems to only be running on the front 2 cylinders i pulled the the rear 2 plug leads off and the revs didnt change at all,

I'm almost thinking, its blown the headgasket out inbetween the bores, or could the inlet manifold cause the same issue?

what about if you take out the spark plugs in 3/4 (re attach leads) and ground them somewhere and give it a crank, see if the spark plugs are firing?

be careful doin this as its a pretty nasty zap if it gets you;)

inlet manifold maybe cause it, though that usually causes it to run crap and/or have a high idle, everthing done up tight stilll?

ive not had much experience with blown headgaskets, but i think you should still get it to fire, even if it misfies it should do something.

yeah, its just been done like 100km's ago, by a mechanic, just can't work out why it ran perfect for those 100kms n just stuff up within the last 15kms.

and yeah checked that hose man lol, 1st thing i looked at lol, had the drama b4 lol,

cheers for the feedback

first, if it hasn't been that far since the mechanic tuned it up, take it back to him and get him to fix it as a "warranty" job.

second, if the points have been replaced, was the cam in the distributor greased as required? the rubbing block has probably worn a bit and caused the points to close up, which alters the ignition timing and dwell (basically spark strength). This is a possible cause.

You need to establish which cylinders are working and which are not. A cylinder needs only three things to work, air/fuel, spark, and compression. I'd check the spark first as air/fuel will affect all cylinders. If spark is ok, check the valve clearances, then check for air/fuel mix related problems.

Don't guess at what might be wrong, test things in order to eliminate possibilities and diagnose the problem correctly.

Robert.

Cheers everyone for the quick reply and info, i tried the spark test with another sparkplug and it had a good spark,

So i pulled the 2 out that gave me trouble tested them both dead, so till i can get some decent plugs i put the old 1's in and it worked a treat,

So now i am never going to buy NGK's again, only in for about 500kms n they died so quick not happy, i know it's only a couple bucks were talking about lol, but i was planning on taking it to Melbourne but 70kms into the trip it played up so i had to limp it home not happy lol, anyway rant over lol,

Problem solved haha,

Cheers everyone for the quick reply and info, i tried the spark test with another sparkplug and it had a good spark,

So i pulled the 2 out that gave me trouble tested them both dead, so till i can get some decent plugs i put the old 1's in and it worked a treat,

So now i am never going to buy NGK's again, only in for about 500kms n they died so quick not happy, i know it's only a couple bucks were talking about lol, but i was planning on taking it to Melbourne but 70kms into the trip it played up so i had to limp it home not happy lol, anyway rant over lol,

Problem solved haha,

That's interesting. I never use anything other than NGK's. Bosch were the one's that used to give me grief. Shuld have been BP5ES? (or similar, that's just off the top of my head....)