22r In A Ae71 For Daily Duty's.

Des

Hey Hey,

Car in question is an AE71 CSX and is going to be the daily/ weekend fun car not a drifter or street racer.

To me the 22R will be better than a 4AG because it has capacity on its side plus better low down torque. America loves these engines and parts are dirt cheap over there and postage isn't much of an issue. The only down side is its not bolt in but i have a welder and mad skillz. I have done a lot of reading on 22Rs and the only thing that turns me off a bit is timing chain issues but if maintenance is kept up it should be fine as in replacing the chain every 80,000km etc. Should be a quick little setup seeing as the ae71 will be 300kg or more down on a Hilux.

The 4AG is also a good contender as it makes roughly the same power as a 22r but less torque. Loves to rev and breathes better than the 22r. They have a good following here in Oz but parts are a bit expensive and drive line parts are in the same boat. Bolt in engine and gearbox. Parts are all available locally so not so much of a wait on parts (I'm inpatient). I have had 4AG's before so i have more experience with them over 22r's but its a motor how hard can it be :blinks:

Anyway i want your experience to answer not a friend of a friend of a friend how knew a bloke back in the day who thinks they are a shit engine.

Ciao

Des :blinks:

Members dont see this ad

I've had a carby fed 22R vehicle before, and it was bloody indestructible, couldn't fault it in any way at all.

If you're really keen on the extra work (and you'd have to be fairly keen), I vote with the "go for it" option. :blinks:

Just don't expect to be able to rev it, ever. It's a truck motor for a reason.

I've had a carby fed 22R vehicle before, and it was bloody indestructible, couldn't fault it in any way at all.

If you're really keen on the extra work (and you'd have to be fairly keen), I vote with the "go for it" option. :blinks:

Just don't expect to be able to rev it, ever. It's a truck motor for a reason.

Yeah that's what i like about it, I wouldn't need to rev the ring out of it to get power and torque. The most work the 22r would get is 40mm side draught webers, Mid range cam, custom extractors and maybe a rebuild with very slight porting to clean it up a bit. Keep it simple.

Oh and get rid of the EGR crap.

Yeah, i agree the 22R is a very underestimated powerplant! Built one for a customer of a place i was workin at a few years ago and was shocked at how damn quick it was, and dat was in a 84 C'rona! Yep you can get some big stick cams and huge valves from the US but shipping them over is costly and the 22R is ain't light so the front susp will need work but still won't ever be as crisp out of a bend as a 4AGE! Also the Carby type is the one to start with if mods are on the list! Besta luck with the idea and hope to see it do a run down the 1/4 mile, should make a mid 14ish standard with rejetted ADM downdraft weber from a 6cly falcon and extractors/exh!

Power isn't a big attribute of the 22r but torque is, 72kw and 174nm. Heavier engine but like i said I'm not after the best handling AE71 in the world as it needs to be close to stock height to get in my drive way, and the roads around here are shite.

Shipping from the states isn't that much as long as your not getting an entire engine.

22rc is an interesting engine.

my dad has a 95 hilux dual cap 2wd with one, and it is quite slow and annoying to drive.

my brother has a 95 hilux cab 4wd with one, and it is even slower, but it does 4wd quite well.

but i went in a guys car the other day, and it was a single cab hilux with an aluminium tray back with a 22rc, and it felt quite zippy. i can only put this down to this car being lighter than the rest, so in a ae71 i can only guess it would be better. i actually thought this one was a 22re at first just seemed that much quicker.

22rc is an interesting engine.

my dad has a 95 hilux dual cap 2wd with one, and it is quite slow and annoying to drive.

my brother has a 95 hilux cab 4wd with one, and it is even slower, but it does 4wd quite well.

but i went in a guys car the other day, and it was a single cab hilux with an aluminium tray back with a 22rc, and it felt quite zippy. i can only put this down to this car being lighter than the rest, so in a ae71 i can only guess it would be better. i actually thought this one was a 22re at first just seemed that much quicker.

My cousin has a 22r in a rn110 4x4 and its slow as but good off road, My mates 2wd 22r hilux is a lot quicker. Extractors and a carby upgrade will be a huge improvement over factory.