4afc Over Fuelling Problems

Bowler

Hi people.

The story goes that I've recently rebuilt my carbi, after 380000 kms, I thought it'd do it some good. So, on it went after the rebuild, but still no improvement in fuel economy. then, its started to breakdown on me, where the car loses power. I rectified this temporarily, by discovering that the plugs had been fouled by carbon. Enter problem - the carb appears to be overfueling. first thought that the fuel solenoids were to blame - causing fuel to be sucked in when the foot was released from the accelerator. replaced these, still over fueling. then went to pick-a-part, to source the carb that I initially pinched the solenoids off - and put that on. still having the issue of blue smoke, pouring from the exhaust, and a very uneasy idle.

After piling through the many manuals i have, i given up and open it to you, the audience, to please suggest possible things that i could try, or even if you could relay some of your experiences too.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Members dont see this ad

yeah blue smoke isnt good.....

id do a compression test both wet and dry, to check out the condition of your rings.

how much is "pouring"?

are you using an alarming amount of oil?

and did this problem only occur after you rebuilt carby? or did you rebuild carby because of the problem?

Thing is it doesn't smell oily though...but thanks for the replys - I will do a compression test.

Started it this morning - holding revs, and idling. heated up ok. checked oil level before i started, and it was about where I expected it to be (about 4/5ths between low and high), given I've done probably 1000kms since topping up. the blue smoke has started since the rebuild. also, I must put it in there, that this is a wreckers engine, estimated at probably 200-240 thousand kms. the last one burnt through valves.

in terms of smoke...i ran it for about 5 minutes yesterday, and the next door neighbour thought the house was on fire. to give you a mental image, think the amount of steam produced by a cold car, on a cold morning. then imagine the steam not disappearing...

also of note, is that the exhaust smells more like a mower, than a 2.6 Magna...

will get back to you guys though. thanks again.

nb. EFI - i wish...money is a little too tight for a conversion at...

ok, so checked compression, and sparkplugs. the comp was between 155-165 between all 4, which would indicate little blow-by, the plugs however were pretty black, even after replacing them yesterday. drove down the shops, and yet more smoke...

I should have clarrified - the blackening on the plugs, was due to carbon fouling, not so much oil fouling. also, one would expect the smoke to smell like oil if there was a leak? correct me if i am wrong however.

on a small note, and one i am hoping is not the case, has anyone every run 2 stroke fuel through a 4 stroke with any issues/success? given i topped up my tank with the fuel i found in the jerry can, i am 95% confident that it was just plain fuel, but not completely sure...

also of note, is that the exhaust smells more like a mower, than a 2.6 Magna...

if your car smells like a mower then its burning oil.

excess fuel will blow back through the carbie. check the air cleaner to see if its burnt or smells like fuel. if it sometimespops on start up and you get smoke coming out of the air intake its retarded timing. i have had to set timing on my 4afc to 20 degrees because i think the dizzy is a tooth out.

blue smoke is always oil. steam is water and black smoke is fuel though it normally ignites in the exuast manifold causing backfiring and often blowing out flange rings or manifold gaskets.

i'd dare say valve stem seals.

• 1 month later...

i have smoke pooring out of one of my secas just the same and is white. it's highly irratating. i have 2 secas with the 4afc engines and a spare head in my garage from a recent bottom end blow out. although yeah i have been told that its is retarded. i feel retarded when i inhale it. :)