Ae82 4a-c Won't Go

Darty

Hey guys,

I am in need of some help... a few days ago the timing belt on my ae82 snapped and left me stranded in the middle of no where. When i got the car home me and a mate (who is a mechanic) pulled it apart and replaced the belt and timed it up and now we can't get it to start at all. We've triple checked the timing and that's right, we've triple checked the compression and that's good too as is spark and it's getting fuel all at the right time.

What else could be the problem??? :abuse:

We are both stumped as are the other two mechanics who have looked at it

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

you see when a timing belt breaks the valves stop moving but the pistons don't. Any valves left in the open position tend to get a nice little kiss from a piston. I'd say Evan is right. Bent valves. Although if your lucky you could just be 180 degrees out with your timing.

well it depends on the engine / head design. if the engine is an "interference" engine (one that lacks sufficient clearance between the valves and pistons if the cam stops turning), the result can be one or more bent valves (usually intake valves), and possibly a broken piston.

weres trev when you need him?

Edited by Evan G

Well we've checked everything and the timing is definately not 180 out so i guess the only logical thing left would be bent valves although i still have full compression?? I got the rocker cover off a while ago and everything seems to be in tact...

Mind you i am no expert so there may be something bent/broken

only need three things to make it go, air/fuel mix, spark, and compression....

if you are POSITIVE the cam timing is spot on, and you have compression (measured with a gauge) then check that you have spark, check the ignition timing, then check whether you have fuel by putting a little bit down the carburettor throat.

if you do all this and it doesn't start then you've made a mistake with one of the checks and need to start over again.

Robert.

Yeah i am POSITIVE that the cam timing is right. I've tried it 180 out and that didn't work. I've checked compression with a gauge and that is also fine and I'm definately getting spark coz I've checked that 4 or 5 times. I'll try putting a bit of fuel down it's throat and if that doesn't work then i guess I'll pull it apart and start again. :)

I've triple checked everything and it's got fuel, compression and spark and all at the right time so it's possible I've missed something, I'll pull it apart again today and have a look.

Jack

• 3 months later...