4k-c Turbo Build!

Jaydnisevil

Highly reccomend removing the sump from the engine to do your oil return. :yes:

Good advice :)

I didn't fancy going to town on my sump in the car.

Plus if I need to weld (if threading not possible), that would make it much less of a fire hazard :P

Is it an involved process? Do I have to remove the cross member and or stone tray? Or can I just unbolt and slide her out ;)

Edited by Jaydnisevil

Members dont see this ad

Small update:

Oil return-

Sump is off and the just waiting for a day where the shops are open so I can get my pipe welded onto the sump :)

Managed to get it off without removing the x-member or anything major :)

Our welder is at a family friends house, and its killing me :P

Anywho I positioned the drain on the turbo side in-between bolt 6-7 (where the sump just levels off)

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

I chose this location because it runs nicely along the x-member, gives me something to secure the hose to (if need be)

That and its right on a main crank bearing cap, so should have minimum oil splashage.

Wategate-

Well my external gate has been ordered, and will be currently sitting at Australia post awaiting the return of its workers.

http://www.justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=16676&cat=295&page=1

Personally I think thats a great price, just jap have alot of cheap stuff, will probably end up getting my drivers seat from them (Or a second hand ebayer)

Currently the old gate is being held closed by steel wire secured to the runner with a wormdrive clamp :P

Its just untill the rest is sorted so I can make a proper bracket.

IMG_2113.jpg

Throttle cable -

Well iv made my measurments, and made a bracket that will be welded to my manifold for the cable.

Again awaiting the return of our welder and wrecker openings to get an appropriate length cable.

Oil supply -

Well I re-routed it so its a bit neater and further from the future position of the downpipe.

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

Interior -

Just about stripped of all signs of life :P

IMG_2109.jpg

Ohh and I re-jigged my ignition panel so now the starter light illuminates when power is available to the starter :D

IMG_2114.jpg

Still no radiator fan, but I can drive the car a short distance after all this is done without a fan :)

Edited by Jaydnisevil

dumb oil feeds

Dump is a polite understatement :P

The coolant is the same, in one side and out the same, sure they had their reasons though.

I always just figure companies do strange shit, but they wouldn't spend the money engineering something a particular way for no reason.

Oil return is done and has a fresh load of oil :)

Successfully increased my throttle cable length, its slightly ghetto but it works well :)

Spliced a hose (lined with hard plastic) into the original outer cable.

Got a longer steel wire, melted the old stopper off the original wire and formed a new one inside a nut as a mold :)

IMG_2150.jpg

Still need the welder back to tack on my bracket, its just being held in place at the moment.

IMG_2148.jpg

Video:

th_IMG_2145.jpg

Finally have my external gate, but need to fit it after I work out the downpipe path.

Id love to have it venting outside the side gaurd, but ill see what kind of room I have to play with once the exhaust is done :)

IMG_2138.jpg

I am most definitely in need of a new battery, especially due to the draw through cold starting requirements.

If anybody knows of a place to get decent sized cheap battery's do let us know.

I think I'm going to re-locate it to the boot, giving me some more room in the engine bay. Otherwise its a little too close to the carby for my liking.

Edited by Jaydnisevil

ghetto as love it please instal a fire extinguisher man id hate to see it burn to the ground not saying i don't trust ur work i just don't trust ur work haha nah looks fun

Haha cheers, a fire extinguisher will DEFFINITLY be going in!

Alot of it has been done properly (If funding permits)

EG the oil lines, I though 'how would the factory do this, and how can I make this myself'

But yes there are some temporary ghetto parts :P (Wastegate holder etc)

As an example, the throttle cable and bracket will be welded and fitted correctly in the future, its just held there to prove the concept :)

Id really rather the cable not get stuck open, so I wanted to see it all worked :)

Anything I deem ghetto WILL be replaced once the car is operational.

I need the thing running, trying to sell my daily drive so I want to keep the KMS down :)

EDIT:

Here we go, found this in the kitchen :P

588ea0da.jpg

Edited by Jaydnisevil

well I'm my eyes everything should be solid mounted with draw thru setups like silicone joiners are a big no no but i gues budget buliders are beggers not choosers

Normally I would agree, but I made the decision to not go down that path; Not for financial reasons, but reliability.

You need to allow for some vibration and expansion as things warm up. I wasn't about to spend the amount of hours I have, only to have my manifold end up with a big crack. can't have the entire setup rigid or it will find a weak point (possibly releasing the air/fuel charge into the engine bay) no thanks :P

There are +ve's and -ve's to both methods, but I was more comfortable with the flexible couplings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok yet another update :)

Iv started taking things apart again now that I know it all works and runs.

That and I am in need of some large power cable for my battery re-location kit :)

Its expensive stuff and money is 'toyught like a toyger' (Unexpectedly large phone bill :P)

The 'de-ghettoing' process has begun, starting with the wastegate locker bracket.

I used the old actuator arm and will be attaching in this location (Left my die-grinder bit at work)

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

Should be finished and secured by tomorrow.

I have cut the lower plate ready for the wastegate, we has our welder back and this flange will be welded as of tomorrow.

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

Oh yea... DIY EXHAUST GASKET SHEETING IS A BASTURD TO CUT!!

Its sharp, you have to use tin snips and its anything but neat. But being a gasket, I'm happy so long as it does the job :)

As formentioned, our welder has been returned, and I was NOT happy with the job carried out on the ends of my manifold (The guy blamed the welder [not ours])

So now I have purchased some 2.5" welsh plugs that I will get welded on by my dad instead.

Id do it myself, but my welding capabilities are only about 25% better than the current end caps :P

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

So if all things go to plan, tomorrow the downpipe, wastegate and the end caps will be welded :)

I am re-doing the coolant lines so I can re-use my radiator fan for now.

Following that the only remaining items really are the battery cable and the throttle cable bracket (which given the manifold mods will have to be re-thought)

Slow and steady :)

But approaching D-day :)

Edited by Jaydnisevil