Trailer Question

demuire

I need a trailer on Wednesday, and I've just realised that for the amount I'd have to pay for rego for a trailer for a year, I'd only be able to rent a trailer for like... a day or two at most. So it seems to make sense to buy a trailer, if I'm going to be using it every so often (have rented a trailer 4 times this year already).

If I buy an unregistered trailer, how do I bring it home?

Is there much to look out for in a trailer? Prices seem to very very much. I'd probably be looking at a 6x4. I'd like bigger, but the bigger ones seem less common and are well, more expensive (as expected).

Members dont see this ad

Make sure it can be registered - make sure that it isn't too wide (8 ft max I think), check that it has brakes (depending on size) and that they work, look at the general workmanship, if it has crappy looking welds walk away.

Do 6 x 4 trailer have to be registered????

Personally I would spend the extra dosh on a car trailer or something that would be big enough to carry the rolla in case something went wrong at an event.

rego for a 6x4 trailer is only $58.70 per year in QLD. i have seen a few for sale recently for $350 upwards. not sure if you need a roadworthy type thing.queensland transport would be the place to ask.

the main things to check are rust, and general condition. check the axle to make sure it is not bent from being overloaded. check the locking mechanism where it goes on your towball to ensure it will want to stay connected to your car. parts are readily available in auto shops if you find one that needs a bit of work.

one thing to look at is the length from the towball to axle on the trailer. the longer the "wheelbase" the better it will tow, ie be less twitchy, and be much easier to reverse.

the only thing with car trailers is cost. they are worth lotsa $$$. if you were smart you could track down and old dual axle caravan, rip the top off (make a few $ for the scrap aluminium) and convert it into a car trailer. Peter (uze20) did this, and it owed him under a grand all up. it works very well, as he has helped me move a few cars now. just needs a winch, but it is amazing what you can do without one. have seen a car trailer recently going second hand for $4500.

Is it only $58.70 a year??? Shit, at that price I'd happily BUY a trailer today! That's how much it costs me to rent a trailer for a day!!! Well, almost anyway. According to Qld Transport website (which is what I was looking at yesterday), it says this:

Up to and including 1.02 tonnes ATM 12 Months 80.10 excluding CTP

I can't tow a car with my Camry (stupid car), so I'm only looking for a little trailer. I think the one I usually rent is a 8x4 cage, or something along those lines. If possible I'd like a 6x4 caged thing, but I've rung just about every ad that's currently in the trading post and weekend shopper, they're ALL sold. Well, all the ones under $500 with rego anyway.

$4500 - for a trailer :)

$58 for rego :sad:

At last something VIC has over QLD. Rego for my car trailer is about $27 a year and it cost me $1000 registered. Old man sold his single axeled car trailer for $250 with a Corolla thrown in.

There is a guy in Melbourne (Redwrf knows him well) that has a trailer made out of a caravan. No suspension so it is super low. Deck tips as the car reverses so it doesn't need ramps. I think it is a bit hairy to tow with no car on it - tends to bounce around a bit.

$4500 for a trailer? Ouchy!

What's the deal with caged trailers? Can you get a normal box trailer and add sides to it? Or does that need to be approved by an engineer etc etc?

And I would assume that metal floor is better than marine ply floor?

Hmm, priced a brand new trailer, they're cheaper than I expected them to be. A bit more than I'd like to pay for at the moment though. Speaking to the trailer people they recon the most popular size is the 7x4, apparently the 6x4 is a tad too small for a lot of things, and 8x4 is well, quite big. Price difference between 6x4 and 7x4 is only like $100.

I'll keep looking in the papers I guess. And I'll just rent one this Wednesday...

the rego price i quoted is from the current rego certificate for my 6x4 trailer. its' not a really healthy specimin.

a steel floor should take more of a load, although my trailer has a marine plywood floor with a sheet of steel over it. it is sitting at my parents with flattened springs, it has 2 k engines in it, numerous heads, as well as 5 gearboxes, 3 diffs, countless struts and other crap. it is really loaded up. must be close to half a tonne sitting in it.

one thing about the ply floor is that rust wont set in as quick, if it has to be stored out in the open. i guess a steel floor, properly treated, with decent drain holes would be fine.

you can put sides on your trailer. mine had steel tube uprights which bolted into the corners, and further pipes with right angle joiners to tie all the corner bits together.

i would hate to pull a car on a single axled trailer. would be extremely dangerous if you had a blowout. i know with a 6x4 they can swerve around a bit if a tyre goes on you.

i'd even have a look around at new trailers Fook. there used to be a couple of places around Ipswich that made them and they sold for a lot less than you would expect.

i'd even have a look around at new trailers Fook. there used to be a couple of places around Ipswich that made them and they sold for a lot less than you would expect.

Yup, have done that (as post above). From Hans Trailers & Campers, $850 for a 6x4, $950 for a 7x4, + $78 for first year rego. Cage for a 6x4 is $200 for just sides, $300 including the top. Not sure about 7x4. If I was to buy a new trailer, I'd probably get a 7x4. That's not including spare or jockey wheel or anything fancy like that. It's cheaper than I expected, but more than I'd like to spend at the moment. Am looking at an upper limit of $500 for me at the moment.

Have welder, can weld, no, not good with welder.

A tad cheaper at a different place: $735 for a 6x4, $70 for jockey wheel, 600kg rated (medium duty). $380 for the cage.

$945 for 7x4, 750kg rated, $420 for the cage.

So brand new, I'm generally looking at a little under $1500 with rego, with the cage, or about $1000 without the cage.

There's a kit one on ebay for $450 at the sunshine coast, with marine ply floor, but doesn't include lights and wiring and all that. 7x4, no cage. I would assume +100'ish for lights and wiring and mudflaps and stuff. I would assume I can just add a cage later if required. It's only 500kg rated, which is fairly light duty for a 7x4... But probably good enough for most of the things I carry around...

Edited by demuire