Help Twinky Fix His 4k

Twinky

So I have recently put the head back on, reset valve clearance, point gap, plugs, wires, rotor, etc etc etc. The compression in the cylinders is about 175 psi in each cylinder

The one thing I can not do is check the ignition timing properly because the thing does not want to idle below 1500 rpm.

At about that rpm the timing is about 15 degrees BTC and it gets to the factory 8 BTC while on the path to stalling so I am assuming i am in the ball park of decent ignition to get me going.

I can drive the thing around but I have only taken it around the block because it is a dog to drive. I can not have the engine running without the choke fully or near fully engaged.

Could this problem be carby related? It's not running extremely rich as there is not a trace of black smoke out the tail pipe but it does smell like there is a little bit of unburnt fuel.

I have endlessly stuffed around with the idle mixture screw going in 1/4 turn incriments to no avail. Would I be looking at a carby rebuild and try rejetting it?

Cheers guys

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally!!!! It has been a while but the problem has been sorted. I ripped apart the carby and let it soak in petrol for a about 3 weeks..... I then bought a carbie rebuild kit and proceeded to rebuild said carby. But looking over the parts nothing in the carbie was worn.... at all.... all the passages were clear, no scuff marks on the jet or needle valves.... So I thought f@$k this its going to a mechanic. First place that came to mind was Fours n More as they have worked on a previous car of mine. I must recommend them to anyone as he found the problem in less than an hour. There was a dowel missing on the head that supported the manifolds, I didn't think mutch of it at the time because everything else was there and it all sat true. But when you torque it all up the manifolds go slightly askew thus missalighning the manifolds and causing a slight leak. That leak was enough to totaly funk up the runnign of the engine. The carby has been readjusted and the thing runs smoooooth aaaasssss. The head work definately helped. I'm absolutely stoked. ++++ rep to Brenton and all the blokes at Fours n More especially for dealing with a boat anchor of a car. I think it was probably the cheapest car he has ever delt with there considering the type of customers cars that are there.

Find out if it is the center of the sender unit leaking around the edge, or the thread of the sender unit where it screws in.

If its the thread take it out and apply some threadtape, but don't break it off screwing it up.

If its the unit itself, time for a new one.