Sensor Plugs - Buying New?

bLinded_

Hey Guys,

Got a little question regarding the plugs on a 4A wiring loom.

Basically I know that there are the 'square' and 'round' types, but I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction regarding how/where I would go about buying some replacement plugs. :blinks: Have mainly 'round' sensors on my new engine, including the injectors, so wanted to track down some new plugs to swap from the 'square' type to 'round' on the wiring loom.

Or,

Would I just be better off selling the loom I have, and just trying (again) to find a complete Smallport loom with the 'round' plugs?

Have tried searching, but as soon as 4AGE and Plug are searched together, it seems to just point me to spark plugs etc :hmm:

Please post up any information you have, or advice you'd be willing to share!

Thanks,

-Alex

Members dont see this ad

Should have mentioned, where I live, there are no Twin Cams at all at any of our wreckers. So pretty much can't just go and chop some out of another harness. Also, I have been told that the plug types are not in the Toyota EPC, so there is way in hell that my local dealership will be able to help me. (Last time I was there looking for K pushrods, they spent 30minutes looking under YMxx Torago's for them...)

I just sent a query to that mob Shadey, will see what they say when/if they reply :)

Thinking I might be better off just tracking down a complete smallport loom as I can imagine multiple new plugs probably costing more :S

I have previously tried to buy plugs at a dealership, and got laughed at. Was told in some instances, loom sections are available, though doubtful for what you need. Plugs are not. Apparently at best, the workshops have a "box" with commonly required terminals and possibly plugs.

Basically you will only find what you need by sourcing a second hand loom from somewhere. FWD looms are easy enough to locate on forums pretty cheaply. Try AE86DC.

As you say, the plug styles change completely. If you look at your wreckers for a Toyota from the same general time period, you may find the plugs you require from there. But there are a lot of them, and plugs are often specific to a particular sensor within a model range. Why? No idea.

Should have mentioned, where I live, there are no Twin Cams at all at any of our wreckers. So pretty much can't just go and chop some out of another harness. Also, I have been told that the plug types are not in the Toyota EPC, so there is way in hell that my local dealership will be able to help me. (Last time I was there looking for K pushrods, they spent 30minutes looking under YMxx Torago's for them...)

I just sent a query to that mob Shadey, will see what they say when/if they reply :)

Thinking I might be better off just tracking down a complete smallport loom as I can imagine multiple new plugs probably costing more :S

AE82 bigport redtops have the same plugs on the injectors, 2JZ injector plugs should fit or give these guys a call:

http://www.efi.com.au/parts/index.html

I know there is another engine with the same plugs that is very common but I can't remember what it is, If I remember I will let you know.

I have previously tried to buy plugs at a dealership, and got laughed at. Was told in some instances, loom sections are available, though doubtful for what you need. Plugs are not. Apparently at best, the workshops have a "box" with commonly required terminals and possibly plugs.

Basically you will only find what you need by sourcing a second hand loom from somewhere. FWD looms are easy enough to locate on forums pretty cheaply. Try AE86DC.

As you say, the plug styles change completely. If you look at your wreckers for a Toyota from the same general time period, you may find the plugs you require from there. But there are a lot of them, and plugs are often specific to a particular sensor within a model range. Why? No idea.

Yeah the more I think about it, I think that sourcing another complete loom would be the best option. Searching other Toyota models may be an option, but I have no time at the moment to get in there to search, due to stupid work hours. Even then, I think the chance of finding everything I need will either be a very slim chance, or very expensive...

AE82 bigport redtops have the same plugs on the injectors, 2JZ injector plugs should fit or give these guys a call:

http://www.efi.com.au/parts/index.html

I know there is another engine with the same plugs that is very common but I can't remember what it is, If I remember I will let you know.

Thanks for that Trev. Going to shoot them a message about it too. And should you remember what that other engine is, that would be great :)

One more thing, for everyone at home, talking of injectors and such, is the below injector a 7MGTE item? When I bought them, I was told they were 4AGZE injectors. Looking through the FAQ they though, they appear to be 440cc 7MGTE ones, but I'd like to know for sure. They are what type of injector plug I need anyway:)

8rvcmic2jl1p2brj5ro210j3mcm7vrui6svbw2xihumt3lz2as.jpg

Edited by bLinded_

Thanks for that Trev. Going to shoot them a message about it too. And should you remember what that other engine is, that would be great :)

I think that the common engine I was thinking of is the 3sf/ge, I will see if my dad has some, Wonder if 5m cressida plugs are the same.

From memory, it was a while ago, the late bigport pink injectors used the same loom plug as a 3SFE Camry. May or may not help. but gives you a general idea regarding interchangeability.

AE82 bigport redtops have the same plugs on the injectors

I think that the common engine I was thinking of is the 3sf/ge.

• 3 weeks later...

Late update I know, but I have had progress with this!

Decided to buy another wiring loom from a smallport 4AGE, and well, it was exactly what I needed :) All the sensor plugs are correct, though the only 'issue' is that the injector clips/plugs do NOT work with the 7MGTE injectors I have. I thought that there were only the 'square' and 'round' plug types on the injectors, but it seems that they also vary in the aligning guides that the clip slides over onto the injector itself.

It seems however, that the plug on the cold start injector clips fine onto the 7M injectors, so I think I will just try wrecker hunting for some alternative plugs from the 3S, or just 'modify' the locating guides one the ones I have.

Again if anyone knows an easy, proven method, feel free to comment ;)

Thanks for the help so far guys, appreciate it!

Remove the guides, basically there so you don't put the plug on around the other way.

And I do this at work when the injector plugs get upgraded to v6 commodore items, BTW 3VZ injectors take the same plug.

Why are you changing the injectors anyway? If you are using a stock ECU, you are making a big mistake.

Far better to use the stock injectors unless you are going to a programmable ECU

by far better he means, it will run like a peice of crap if you put the wrong sized injectors with the standard ecu:P