Sidedraft Questions

Hey guys I got a few questions about sidedrafts I will be putting twin dhlas on my 4k soon. I have read on a few different websites now that I will have to upgrade my fuel pressure regulator is this true or will my factory reg be capable of doing the job? I would also like to know where I could purchase linkages from as I wouldn't have a clue where to find them, thanks.

Members dont see this ad

You can run them with std fuel pump with a inline regulator.Better still run a electric pump and do away with mechanical pump.

Remember dellortos ,weber only need very low pressure 2.5-4psi max or youll create problems.

I m running a electric pump that is 3.5 psi and flows 70 litres per hour.(weber }

Try nardek in sydney also stewart wilkins motorsport I'm sure there are many more .

Factory regulator ,would only be what the fuel pump is pumping out,not a regulator as such .(correct me on this)

Just remember fuel pressure is critical on these carbs.

rob

rob's pretty much covered your question.

No there is no factory regulator.

I used a Holley Red fuel pressure regulator, easily found for around 30-50 bucks. You will need a fuel pressure gauge as well, a speco one with an adaptor will mount straight to the regulator.

Linkages, I would just use the redline linkage kit, take a look at my wagon engine and you'll see how it's been set up. Link in my signature.

Edited by philbey

When we put the twin SUs on my 55 we ran an electric fuel pump and inline regulator (like everyone as mentioned). We got the manifold, linages and ramflo air filters from Lynx in Sydney (I did a quick google and I think this is their site http://www.lynxcorp.com.au/main.php?idx=home). My dad ordered the parts and apparently he was able to get them to knock a little off the price (although this was 4 or 5 years ago now).

We had some issues with the fuel pumps when we first installed them. The first model we tried was a square shaped one, and we ended up going through two or three of them (seemed to die on hot summer days and I think one time when I only had about 5 litres left in the tank). After we went to one that is more cylindrical shape and haven't had any problems since. I don't know what the difference is, or what the different styles/models/brands are, maybe someone else who knows more can shed some more light on it.

Thanks for your responses guys cleared it up for me big time. I'm gonna stick with my factory fuel pump purely just to keep costs down this build's costing be enough already :P So all I have to do is mount the fpr between the fuel pump and the carbs? What do you guys think of the following reg do yous think it will do the job?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/fuel-pressure-reg...t/p2011023.jcwx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EMPI-9091-V...sQ5fAccessories

Yeah I know its not a Holley but I like to be a little different lol and I know that Empi is a good reputable brand so I know I'm not getting a crappy made unit.

Thats a bloody nice wagon by the way Philbey!

• 3 weeks later...

So I ended up buying a Holley but I haven't got a clue about the fittings. I measured that the threads on the Holley and they are 15mm and the size of the factory fuel line is anywhere between 6-8mm it was hard to measure roughly cut fuel lines please note my measurement skills suck so I'm probably a mm or 2 out on the Holley threads as-well. Could someone please tell me what the correct measurements of both the Holley threads and factory are? Also What are the sizes when their converted to inches and AN? Thanks.

You don't need a pressure reg !

71 - 73 2T-G Celicas ran a mechanical fuel pump on the twin Mikuni Solexs then changed to an electric pump in '74.

Too many urban myths floating around on the net confusing people... :)

18RG/GUs are the same btw !

Edited by Scoobzd

You don't need a pressure reg !

71 - 73 2T-G Celicas ran a mechanical fuel pump on the twin Mikuni Solexs then changed to an electric pump in '74.

Too many urban myths floating around on the net confusing people... :)

18RG/GUs are the same btw !

Scoobzd mate, you're just part the problem, what you've said is horseshit.

mighty_4K is running DELLORTO's and you definitely need an FPR on them.

You've just come in and told him he doesn't, and then quoted the some shit about 2TG celica's and solex's.

See, I was always under the impression that there is in fact a regulator in the factory fuel pump. There has to be, as even a stock carb is built to run at a particular fuel pressure. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a particularly good regulator, as it's designed to supply a small carb that isn't particularly accurate at times. Once you start upping the fuel delivery requirements, along with running a better tune, this will only highlight its inabilities.

But I think the general answer would have to be, get a good regulator. At the end of the day it's going to make getting a good tune on the delly's so much easier.

Stock mechanical pumps are BUILT to supply a certain pressure..... to match the carby they're supplying, so thats why most don't have regs.

Even the '74 electric pump change Scoobzd mentioned would probably be built to supply a pressure that isn't too much for the solexs.

So this doesn't mean you can just chuck any electric pump on a set of side drafts and be all good. :)

Okies, so the LOW pressure USA off the shelf electric pump ($95) from Super Cheap that's been feeding my

TWIN side draft 35yo 40mm Mikuni Solexs on my Twin Cam 2T-G for 5 years now wont work?

Damn... :)