Building Ke70

KE70PWR

If you're in for the big port flow job then you'll need a motorsport orientated head place and a fat wallet.

of if your keen, pick up a 2nd hand head (you can get entire 4k's for $100 on here), buy a dremel, and have a crack at it!

i always wanted to have a go at porting a 4k head, given they are so cheap and so easy to change.

in the words of jeremy clarkson "how hard can it be"

(I'm sure if i actually ported a head, it would have ended distasterously, but it would have been fun!)

Members dont see this ad
I'm sure if i actually ported a head, it would have ended distasterously,

Not necessarily!

Toyota factory used to grab heads off the line and flowbench them as they found some stock heads were as good as some factory race car ported ones. They didn't find that the science of porting was that settled!

..and I read a comment the other day about MG-A twincams saying the factory were trying different things as they didn't really understand how the SUs worked or didn't...

So you could turn up with a real stunner first time out!

• 2 months later...

Ok new king springs all round now and new shocks and breaks. and fix pan rod bracket that had not been welded at the factory lol pics up soon.

now i need a master cylinder i think?? if i put my foot on the pedal slowly it goes nearly to the floor but if i use in with a bit of force it works normal is my master cylinder about to shit its self??

also does any one have a 4k they want to get rid of had a quick look in for sale doesnt seem to be any there ATM

cheers guys

Does it lose brake fluid over a week or two?? ..or is it just recycling it? If its not losing it then master cyl is most likely.

Strip it, run a brake hone down it with an electric drill and fit new seals. If you haven't done it before, this is what is inside. Brake hones are just two small flat grindstones on a pair of sprung arms forcing them outwards. You slip them into a cylinder held in a vice, give it a good does of WD40 or CRC 556 or kero and pull the trigger while you work it up and down maybe 10times. Then clean it and check for marks or pits down the cyl. Rinse and repeat....

Be careful not to pull it out too much when its spinning, always have the stones right inside or they flail around and smash!

post-7544-042384600 1286588129_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys heres some pics after putting king springs in and all new shocks

just bout a new product to give it a clean and came up a treat got it from these guys

http://www.fullnoise.net.au/featured-products/lucas-slick-mist-speed-wax-710-ml-interior-detailer-710ml-tyre-and-trim-shine-710ml-spray-bottles-kit-of-3.html

just bought a second motor to rebuild and put my twin su's on and maybe supercharge it

post-7193-073318100 1288689036_thumb.jpg

post-7193-098040000 1288689230_thumb.jpg

post-7193-027944800 1288689300_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ok just ordered new pistons as i just pulled engine down and found a cracked piston :( oh well!!!!!

need to get engine on stand and start to rebuild from bottom up any tips from anyone that i need to remember or should know that i may not know already

cheers guys