Coilovers Vs Proper Rated Springs.

19914afc

Hey, ive been looking at a suspension upgrade for my T18. Now I was looking at some ae86 8kg coilovers for the front and 6kg with adjustable spring things like ajps make for the rear and short stroke shockies which will cost about $1400 all up, or 6kg front springs with short stroke inserts and 4.5kg rears also with short strokes, cost is $400 for springs and not too sure how much the shocks/inserts will cost, (got quoted $250 each for koni inserts)

The car is my daily but would like to try it out on a circuit track/motokahanas/skid pan days, just some stuff that is cheapish and fun.

I most likely would not need the adjustability of coilovers but would it come in handy for what I want to do?

Or if ST141 corona lca's and struts ect bolt in I can get them cheap, can also get the twin piston calipers cheap too.

These are the coilovers I was looking at - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BC-Adjustable-Coilo...rts_Accessories

Edited by 19914afc

Members dont see this ad

so what exactly are you asking?

one advantage of coilovers is that you can get more camber adjustment as the springs are smaller and can move inside the strut tower.

and also coilovers tend to be short stroke shocks and allow the car to be lowered more.

genearlly with replacement spring/shock combos in a standard strut, since the strut isnt shortened at all, if you lower the car toooo much you will lose bump travel as the struts are stock length (and thus close to bottoming out shocks)

i would just go springs/shocks and don't lower it rediculously.

Edited by ke70dave

the only problem i can see with those rear height adjustables is..... will they go into the srping seat like a normall spraing would???? :blinks:

If you want coilovers go and do it man :jamie:

I can't see why you wouldn't get them, if the spring rate is too stiff you can always just get a softer spring, and being a coilover there should be heaps of springs out there too suit that certain type of coilover. either that or you could probably find a softer spring out of say a tien coilover or something like that, I can't see why they wouldn't use the same if not close to the same style of spring

that is my 2c

pedders comfort gas...

i find that on hard cornering if the rd is bumpy the car becomes very unpredictable.. i believe a stiffer shock and softer springs coupled with a fatter custom sway bar.. will allow it to still sit nice and flat and 'ride' the bumps instead of going over them. mine is bumpy and i love it.. but on a road car i would not go any harder

my missus gets n the car and complains it hurts her tits.

by having your soft shock this will make handling worse and the shock won't have the correct valving so your sring is doing the work.

• 1 month later...