Ca18Det Into Xe7X Discussion

Locky.

ok so i have just finished the conversion myself except I'm using a ca18de+t

brakes are ln106 calipers with peugot discs

mounts well for now I'm useing rubers off the crossmember one on the exhaust side and two on the intake side but this will be changed to proper mounts soon

fuel system at the current time this consists of a vl lift pump mounted in the tank(if you are going to do this use the pump suport braket) this lift the fuel to a vl fuel high pressure pump (btw vl, vl turbo, cameira fuel pumps are all the same check if you don't belive me) by doing this it allows me to add a surge tank at a later date this then feeds to the old charcol canister line that i bent 180 and used the old coil mout to mount a z200 this then goes to the fuel in and out lines .

crossmember i located a piece of 65x40 rhs steel i then cut down the steel to look like a sort of pyamid this mounted it solidly and looks sort of factory

tailshaft i used a 180sx manual shaft cut off the tailshaft flange as we know they are different to the ke diff one i then reemed out the 180sx shaft to accept the ke70 uni joints and welded the joint into the shaft(this is only a solution untill i blow the diff i will then build a custom shaft to suit a hilux diff with air locker) i then spun up a 60mm spacer including locating steps into the alloy this then was pressed into the ke70 flange and the 180 shaft with ke70 flange bloted up

anyway more info soon atm my conversion is rough in my eyes very well done in others it will be perfect soon though stay tuned for updates :hmm::lolcry:

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd add a few notes for wiring up CA18s since everybody keeps asking about it

the S13 engine loom comes in to parts, the ECCS loom and the start/charge loom. In my way, cut-up the S13 start/charge loom to adapt the E7 loom.

For all E7 and I'd assume most other K power rollas would be the same. the start loom from the rolla fits onto the CA18, Main starter B+, starter sig, even oil pressure light and water temp wire will reach the CA18 senders.

alternator is now on the drivers side of the vehicle. From the rollas external reg, there is a yellow wire in there that is the ALT check bulb, this need to be extended and run to the CA alt plug pin one ,it should have white with red trace in it.

Pin two in the plug is a plain white wire and should be spliced to a constant B+. In my case, I ran a boot mounted battery, so I simply made wire from the alt pole to pin two in the alt plug, a 4 gage lead from the alt pole to the starter b+, then a 0 gage to my isolator and back onto the battery. the CA alternator should also be properly earthed, I ran a separate earth wire for it.

CA charge diagram

post-9075-043299900 1287444692_thumb.jpg

with that done, the only problem now is the S13 start/charge loom also contains part of the knock feed back to the ECCS loom.

I made a new knock wire out of thin coaxial and just earthed one end of the outer sheath for shielding. Knk wire is a white wire, easy to find because is has a black shielding wire around it with a grey cover and is twice the size of the other wires.

ECCS loom is pretty straight forward, engine attached at one end, ECU at the other. most of the powering up of the ecu can be done through the F8 and F10 plugs(two plug that are on the end of the airflow meter branch). I just made up a bank of three relays behind the Left headlight, Ignition, ECCS and F/Pump and made up a loom as below.

the Ign switched B+ and start signal I ran straight from the ignition switch loom, under the dash and patched into the CA loom(you'll see the ca loom has a spare plug just up from the ecu that has these two wires.

post-9075-007651800 1287444608_thumb.jpg

post-9075-089816500 1287444655_thumb.gif

Edited by Benno

• 4 months later...

i'm using rb30 skyrice engine mounts on a ke70 crossmember and it looks like it may fit i just need to suss it out abit more yet

Apparently they bolt straight in with rb30 engine mounts, ive also heard rb20 aswell

i have got one picture, the passenger side bolts in alright but the drivers side has a little issue with alignment, plus it seems like it sits to the drivers side with the rb mounts but i'll sort it out and get back to you about it,

Passenger side

post-7244-033136600 1299222015_thumb.jpg

With the sr mounts are they the ones that bolt to the engine? And then a cortina rubber mount??

Edited by SLW42

wow awesome response guys, good to see i got this thread rolling again :P

btw i was just looking in the stickied posts and realised a couple of 4age into KE threads, and don't know just seemed like this should be one of those topics that is stickied due to the fact that it is a "tried and tested" thread with so many different options