Lpg On 4k?

KE-JG

A few blokes on Ford Forums have discussed this topic in the past. For V8's, they paid $1800 to $2400. The more expensive prices were generally for newer fuel injected motors.

I would hazard a guess that a new system for a corolla would be on the lower end of that price scale. Some things that may affect price:

Smaller Tank?

Smaller Converter?

These straight gas conversions run a special type of carburettor too, don't they?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old man has a fitters ticket, and has converted a lot of cars. Getting all new tanks is not the way to go. Buy an older car (look for XF's, they're cheap and alot of them are on gas), already converted to gas, with an in-date tank.

There is only a great power loss with LPG when it is improperly tuned, or run on a dual-fuel combination (like taxis). Otherwise you can get the same performance out of a LPG engine. They really are not that complicated, the only difference is the convertors and electrics...

Oh yeah, by the way, I think Mythbusters actually shot a gas tank, and it didn't pierce. Because it is a completely sealed tank, no matter what, even when you fill it up...

actually they did pierce the tank on mythbusters, i saw that one....it was to prove whether or not Jaws could have been blown up in the original movie. the tank acted like a rocket, or like a balloon if you blow one up and let it go.

it was a straight o2 tank. oxygen isn't flammable, unless added to a burning fuel source. scuba tanks are made of alloy as well as steel.

If you're thinking about gas it'd probably worth getting a replacement carby rather than a top hat style of unit.

Carby and convertor $400 trade

Tank $400

Lines, cabling and Solenoid $200,

Gas Certificate $50

Labour 0 - $700 depending on where you get it done.

New cam profile $90

Won't be much change from 2 grand

If you're really keen you should score a 7K efi manifold and sidedraft the the carb on the front like an efi throttle body. You can even get sensors that allows you to control the system with an aftermarket ecu. I know someone who gets 7 L per 100km from a N/A L16 datto motor under hard daily driving with a EMS stinger. For the best effiency, it's best to get a new cam profile with different durations to suite aswell, not too sure what they change..

Check out http://www.gasresearch.com.au/, has a 20mb download about forced induction too, bit of a waste of time though for its size.

There is only a great power loss with LPG when it is improperly tuned, or run on a dual-fuel combination (like taxis).
I don't agree. We have about 20 cars in our fleet, about 12 are dual-fuel and the rest are straight gas. The fastest car in the fleet is dual fuel, and the slowest car is too. I see no power loss between straight gas and dual fuel.

I have got my name down for one of the cabs already, comes off in June. Ford Falcon AUII, Auto Air Steer Cruise Electric Mirrors Electric Windows $7.60/100km and thats with cabbies driving it, major city cycle. 550,000kms on the clock, painted back to its original colour (metallic red) $5000. You wouldn't know it was a cab. Woo!

A bloke i work with drives a Dedicated straight gas BA XLS Ford Ute. Its got as much get up and go as my old mans 6cyl XF Ute. :n:

He had an AU Dual fuel Ford Ute previous to his BA, and the AU on either gas or petrol would eat the BA alive. The Straight gas BA is listed as having the same HP and 103nm more torque too. Pfft.

"Disclaimer" This may not be representative of other cars though.

All the LPG vehicles you've described there would use the existing ECU to regulate the LPG mixtures. In a carby style LPG of vehicle consistent vaccum conditions dictate the efficiency of the motor.

Mick, my mate from the Sunny Coast swears by getting a custom cam for LPG vehicles, his shop will do up to 10 conversions a week sometimes. His kingswood is a 300hp NA twin throttle LPG 308, getting better fuel economy than his 2L G200 Jackaroo on unleaded.

And it all comes down to the tuning of the motor...

We fitted the same motor and transmission from a XF Ute (Petrol) to a XF Sedan(Gas) simply with a bit of tuning and the things got more get up and go then the Ute ever had... It could be the difference in diffs but it can't really be that different - 3.14 to 2.92? Wouldn't that make it slower off the mark?