Roddicks 5Sgte St162

roids70

hey guys been a very long time since i've been on here, quite possibly about 3 years i would say, over the time i have got myself another ride, picked up an 88 st162 celica with a bung engine, to make things more simple for me I'm going to coppy and paste from another forum.

Once apon a time i bought a 162 celica for $850 Aus and knowing the history of this car i knew what was ahead, after getting it towed home and a couple of days latter when i had the time i hooked straight into getting the monstrosity apart (First fwd motor i've ever worked one) getting it out was the hard part :mad: plenty of punching things (not the car), anyway got the motor out and i stripped it back to just a block, took the sump off and to come accross no.1 bearing located everywhere in the sump, and not where it should be, after undo ing the rod i pulled it out then pulled the rings of to find that pistons come in 2 peices, well in this motor anyway

l_1316f68066f2b2bee14aea78234499f9.jpg

also on further inspection i also came accross a nice crack running down the bore of the cylinder,

after finding and building a new motor running it in, everything working great after about 1,200 km's i have traveled it decides to spin not only a bearing but throw out the thrust bearings as well, i replaced everything hoping it didn't cause much damage, but it threw another bearing 44km's later.

thus resulting in i long period of time off the road! having trouble finding a replacement motor was indeed stressing me out. so i read up on a few sites about doign a 2.2l conversion, sussing it all out i decided to try it out

finding a 93 toyota camry that had been in an accident, getting the motor out of that and just using the bottom end and selling the other stuff, Success!!!! i found one and started my work

l_2187ec8b7c299acb6c3ad70731337db8.jpg

fecked motor on stand and 5sfe on the ground

l_b6d48652e377fb6af1a91ac8f6a79845.jpg

5sfe on the stand

l_893408139cab21031fe6f7bafe705901.jpg

the choice between injectors 3sge on top and 5sfe on bottow ( i went with the 3sge ones

l_aff4d3131532b2b2431ca1a9b9e0eaf5.jpg

head on belt on, all looking good

l_9726914810a582b2ab2a7d8f1b904105.jpg

brilliant!!!!!!! it all together :laff:

in the proccess you need to change everything over from the 3sge to the 5s block even crank pully for timing belt, harmonic ballencer, all brakets overthing i say!! :twisted: also used the 3sge flywheel and clutch cause 5sfe is an 8 bolt crank not 6 like the 3sfe

l_5d63f0b56c63b9297178afe90bbd2861.jpg

putting the motor in was a breeze nothing too it just like normal but then comes the tricky part, since it is a 5sfe it also has ballencer shafts in the crank case you can chose to remove them and put a 3sge sump on but they are there for a reason so good to leave them there, the one thing with the sump being lower you must extend the exhaust

l_06870d94ba59ff472f7e8ba1bb691cf6.jpg

once that is done your all set to rip skids everywhere, nah not really but you will be loving the result that such an engine can produce a great nice amount of torqe at bottom end and nice top end pull.

here are a bunch of picks of my car somewhere on our latest cruise for Oz Celica a while back now

l_83abb0b7316689e4ffebb7f3535442e2.jpg

l_e6318884da2df00b15dc1b67a68e094e.jpg

i am the white blob up front lol i is very much faster cause i knew the roads better

l_4e3a971a63e5405302d7e**2c60b4bad.jpg

l_33227a12c8**0d051960759f1eb2e661.jpg

l_cb0f68a81692409303b81e4351568752.jpg

l_7162530319ae5cd40471934207afc33d.jpg

l_4848da10425ab4c**31bba1772a8bfa3.jpg

me playing with a 25 sparklers at once BWAHAHAHA

l_8ba013c6e8e7dc0d27f1e94827a5b88c.jpg

these are just some photos of my 5sge build

as you can see a 5sfe bottom end with a brand spanker water pump, and another photo i did not take was a brand new 185 gt4 oil pump i put on

p2120205yf7.jpg

5sfe metal headgasket

p2160288ti9.jpg

this was a teaser a while back now

p3020290.jpg

p3020295.jpg

p3020291.jpg

her is my turbo all fixed, got a brand new core off ebay, was actually really cheap

img0515z.jpg

img0514la.jpg

img0513qp.jpg

these images are from the weekend just passed

TTTTTTUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRBBBBBBOOOOOOOZZZZZZZZZ!!!

first time attached to the engine

img0522r.jpg

not much room in there i say

img0523.jpg

Dump pipe fitted

img0524.jpg

another shot, but this time with the air con unit back in

img0526v.jpg

how close the clutch line is to the fron housing

img0527.jpg

the space were the filter should go, unfortunatly not enough room to put it back on, so filter relocator kit is needed

img0528r.jpg

and how much i had to bend the dip stick so it wasnt touching the dump pipe

img0529.jpg

Members dont see this ad

all my fittings and lines i got for mates rates

img0533z.jpg

img0534m.jpg

img0535zg.jpg

got the intercooler mounted in the spot i wanted and mounted in two poins. just need to do one more mount.

img0538sa.jpg

img0539t.jpg

img0540ee.jpg

got my oil filter kit it is the goods

img0593ul.jpg

img0594.jpg

img0597vd.jpg

just got my new fuel reg kit, got the car running with it on

40931439497355912587405.jpg

now just organising piping and getting the exhaust connected

there really isn't much room in there at all

Not a bad setup, I would of opted to go with the gen 2 or 3 head & intake, there is quite a bit you can do when building a 5sg engine, we did a bit of R & D at my old work and Terry did a write up.

http://roadandtrack.net.au/images/stories/documents/Building_a_5SG_engine.pdf

Good to see that you stayed with the twin entry turbo.

what made you switch to 5sgte, I'm lookin at puttin a 3sgte into my ta22 but if a 5sgte is alot better i might consider that.

swaps coming along quite nicely too keep up with the updates

matt

The reason I went to 5sge was because 3sge arnt very available here in tassie. And if a wrecker has one they want a fortune for it. I did some research of my own about3 years ago. And back then I could not find onething on the Internet about doing a 5sge build untill I found a bloke in Europe that had done one. So over here I could pick up 5sfe bottom ends for 100 bucks so I went for it. And got it right first go. Ran like a dream apart from an exhaust leak but I think it went. Much better than the 3sge. And to be honest I think it's better and cheaper doing it my way. Were as you gotta spend shut loads of money for the bottom end if you put a 5s crank in a 3s block. Way too much hassle.

Not a bad setup, I would of opted to go with the gen 2 or 3 head & intake, there is quite a bit you can do when building a 5sg engine, we did a bit of R & D at my old work and Terry did a write up.

http://roadandtrack.net.au/images/stories/documents/Building_a_5SG_engine.pdf

Good to see that you stayed with the twin entry turbo.

Tithe reason I still have a 1 gen head is cause I still had my standard computer to contend with. And I didn't have the money at the time so for now I've just stuck with it. I am planing on building another 5s bottom end with new rods and .040 oversized 3sgte forgoes witch are 87mm witch is the size of the 5s bore so I've got everything planned what I'm doing. But for now I'm just sticking with the motor I got. Get it running. See how it goes if it goes well cool. If it blows meh gotta build a new one. Yeah twin scroll is the goods. I couldn't find any single entry turbos or manifolds anywere so I just went for the twin. Got it and a manifold for swapsies of one of my side entry manifolds. Turbo was f@$ked so hence y I got a brand new core for it. And the new core only cost 249 bucks

Tithe reason I still have a 1 gen head is cause I still had my standard computer to contend with. And I didn't have the money at the time so for now I've just stuck with it. I am planing on building another 5s bottom end with new rods and .040 oversized 3sgte forgoes witch are 87mm witch is the size of the 5s bore so I've got everything planned what I'm doing. But for now I'm just sticking with the motor I got. Get it running. See how it goes if it goes well cool. If it blows meh gotta build a new one. Yeah twin scroll is the goods. I couldn't find any single entry turbos or manifolds anywere so I just went for the twin. Got it and a manifold for swapsies of one of my side entry manifolds. Turbo was f@$ked so hence y I got a brand new core for it. And the new core only cost 249 bucks

If you ever need parts like that just give Terry a call.

http://roadandtrack.net.au/

Haha, I've always thought about a poor mans 5SGTE for the camry. Will be good to see how it goes. BTW 3SGTE forgies are no good, need to be the custom 5S variety ones because the gudgeon pin is higher in the piston on the 5S. I think spool are doing 5S rods now too.

ah yes that was the other thing, hadn't got that far with figuring that out but you answered it for me, so now i will go back to my first plan of 5s pistons with lower compression

Force inducting toyotas..... remember jade tried to supercharge the MR2.

Spose the celica counts too, turbo motor, but still turbo'ing an originally non-turbo car.

I did 3x different kits there. One of them was fitted in 2x corollas too.

edit - actually 3x cars - Dirt, then Tar, then fitted into James' KE35

Edited by Taz_Rx

• 2 weeks later...

got my air/fuel ratio guage yeasterday. its one of the new smokey stepper gauges, did have photos but can't get them up atm,

they are a little wanky as they have an opening and closing ceremony

here is the opening

here is the closing

mine shut down slightly different mine go like these ones

they say stepper gauges are more acurate purely because evertime they start up they are calebrating themselves

• 1 month later...

BIG UPDATE..............UPDATE.................UPDATE

the car is boosting, hit 7psi today, still running on stock ecu, didn't really give it much of a go but it still pulls really hard,

on another note there are still things that need to be done, but will get to them eventually, in tghe mean time, it goes it boost, and i dare say it may be the only 1st gen 5sgte

Cheers Sean