Car Overheating, Please Help?

LostPrincess

Hey. I was just wondering if anyone else has any ideas on why my car would be overheating?

Car: 1993 Toyota Corolla CSI Limited.

It overheats in about 5 minutes doing 60km/h. And the overflow spurts the coolant and water everywhere...

I know it's not the thermostat and the radiator and hoses aren't leaking any coolant or water.

Thanks.

Members dont see this ad

Sounds like an airlock, park it so it is flat or the front is slightly higher and run the car with the rad cap off and the interior fan temp set to hot (with fan on 1 to feel the core heating up if you have one), run it until it gets hot which should be 1/2 - 3/4 on the gauge and make sure the rad is always full while doing this.

Once the heater is warm (if you have one) have a feel of both radiator hoses (top and bottom) to make sure the water is flowing, if so then stick the cap on, if not then follow the bottom hose up to the thermostat housing and see if the other side is hot.

Edited by Trev

keep in mind though when your checking the hoses also give them a squeeze make sure they got pressure in them one of them might not or one of them might be cold that mean u have a problem,

you might want to take it to nearest mechanic and get them to do a pressure test on the radiator it might be blocked.

hope its not the head!

I'd check the head gasket also-

When you do the airlock test start it from overnight cold, so the thermostat is shut. If bubbles come out of the rad and it overflows before it is warm then you have a leaking head gasket. If they come out when its warm then it could be either head gasket or air locks.

Start with the basics first. All the overheating could certianly have led to a blown head gasket.. but what caused the over heating and the subsequent blown headgasket? Sometimes they go by themselves, most of the time something caused the car to overheat and then do the headgasket.

No leaks is good.

You say thermostat is good, so I will assume you have replaced it or checked it. So tick that box.

Water pump has been replaced so you should be sweet there.

Next one on the list - is the engine fan/thermo fan coming on? Check that.

The radiator is in what kind of condition? I am tipping that its blocked and full of gunk and that is why the car is overheating, as its not getting enough cooling. One way to check this is to put your hand on the fins of the radiator (away from the fan and anything that will hurt you!) and feel the temperature across the width and height of the radiator. If its really hot in places, and really cold in places, you have a blocked radiator.

Every single Toyota I have ever owned has had a blocked radiator because people use water instead of coolant etc, then corrosion starts, and then that stuff blocks the radiator.

A wild guess and don't laugh but could your overflow tank be full (if you have one) to the top as well as your radiator? Would stop water or coolant from being able to spill into it and not cool down, therefore over heating and spurting out? I heard it on 'The Garage' on Discovery