77 3Kc Idle Problem

bigblackcat

Hello all!!

I'm new to the corolla world and have recently picked up a 77 ke30 with a 3kc engine. I've owned the car for about two months and havn't had any problems with the engine until a week ago.

The engine would die at stops. I will start up but will not idle. in order to keep it running I've got to keep my foot on the gas pedal; I've noticed that there is a miss under low idle. At first I thought it to be bad gas, so I drained the tank and disassembled and cleaned the carb. That did not change anything. I also checked the tune up parts and found the plugs to be good,but the contact points seem a little worn so i replaced them. Still no change. I even did a compression test and it seems good; all are at 175 psi.

I'm stumped! anybody run across this before or have any recommendations?

Members dont see this ad

Idle jet may be blocked.

Quick fix is to swap number 2 and 3 plug lead over and start it up. Using a bit of gas pedal, it'll backfire. This will clear the idle jet. Swap the leads back to their proper place and it should idle.

This is the no money fix.

Boo

Edited by Bamboo

Well i swapped #2 and #3 plug wires and the carb back fired. Once I swapped back again their original positions and started the car, it acts the same. So I took the carb off and dissassembled it and soaked it into a bucket of carb cleaner. Once reassembledand started, it still does the same thing!!!! I'm stumped!!!! :blinks:

I had a similar issue and it was related to the coil. Might pay to try another.

My car would miss at different times and most certainly would not idle when this was happening. You are probably not getting enough spark.

Either that or your idle fuel solenoid isn't activating properly... has the connector dropped off or is the wire broken somewhere. This is shown in the FAQ section. I would say being a 30 it would have a fuel cut solenoid.

I had a similar issue and it was related to the coil. Might pay to try another.

My car would miss at different times and most certainly would not idle when this was happening. You are probably not getting enough spark.

Either that or your idle fuel solenoid isn't activating properly... has the connector dropped off or is the wire broken somewhere. This is shown in the FAQ section. I would say being a 30 it would have a fuel cut solenoid.

Damn....normally that's the first thing that's said with problems like that, missed it.

Edited by jono1986

You should hear it click and be able to feel it with your finger when someone turns on/off the ignition. I assume if you unbolted it and laid it on the engine you would see the end retract in as you turn the key on and poke out as you turn the key off, but I've never tried it.

Multimeter or test light should show if it has a full (closed) circuit in the windings and that it doesn't earth out.