Ke20 Chassis Strengthening

7FOUR7

Well I'm about to drop a 300-350rwkw ca18det into my 1970 ke20 and somehow I don't think the 40 year old chassis will like it too much. The car will be a street car but will also see regular drag strip duties. It will be run on e85, seeing boost of 25psi+ and be brutally launched off the 2 step on slicks.

So where should I start with chassis strengthening??

Members dont see this ad

You need a cage. Full stop.

Nothing else you do really will prevent the car being turned into a pretzel in fairly short order.

It's not a full chassis, and if you seem weld a 40 y.o chassis, it may do something, but it won't do much.

When you start punching out that Hp, you need to make a decision whether you want a quick road car, or a quick drag car. Because you won't have both. Not in a 20.

Half cage for a half with. Won't do much unless you tie it in with side intrusions to the front wheel arch.

Well you can have it setup as a removable 6 point type (removable front bars) but even then the thing will be like a sardine can.

OP: Here is the cage section if you are interested (LK8, page 33):

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP7_Section_LK_Seating_and_Occy_Protection_3Feb2006.pdf

excellent, cheers for that trev I'll give it a read.

Have had a 6point in one of my vls and hated it, it wasn't tight enough to the roof and my head would sometimes hit it.. Can't imagine how it would be in a crash for your skull

You can't have the front bars in on the road.