2Tgeu Into Ke20

benhachi

Sounds good mate. Can't wait to see it on the road. I finally managed to find a 3TC locally so the build begins! So many

other bits and pieces to find as yet though. Have decided after much deliberation and talking to other members with na

T series engines, that I am going to do a blow through turbo setup. Less money required and much more reliable. I am

pretty confident I will be able to get some good horesepower out of the engine without spending ridiculous amounts of

money. Apparently standard bottom end is good for upto 300hp, so I have read on 3tcgarage.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose not to do a turbo setup because i think they shorten the life of the engine even on low boost and i don't really want to be hunting around for 3tgeu engine parts lol..

But they are a very strong engine I've heard so it should be fine. I remember a while back a guy had a 3tgte in a ke20 from memory and he said it make WRX STI's look slow off lights.. scary.

Ill update you on the booster situation. The engineer's going to do it all for me but ill put info up on here about what we use and where we mount it and what brakes etc.. i think ill be converting it to disc brake rear end.

Edited by benhachi

The engineer's going to do it all for me but ill put info up on here about what we use and where we mount it and what brakes etc.

Ta- I'm thinking about some of the Euro cars that run a shaft across the firewall to their usual booster on the "left-hand" side. There's also the option of a smaller booster off another car, I have a very small diameter one on my Datsun 1600.

I don't think low or even mild boost should shorten the life of the engine if it is built correctly and looked after!

A high compression, high revving engine would surely see a much shorted life span!! Tighter tolerances, more

wear and harder working. Running a mid sized turbo, with a "turbo" cam shouldn't see the engine having the need

to work anywhere near as hard as an n/a engine.

I have done a fair bit of research and spoken a lot with Pete "KE20rally" who is running approx 145rwhp in his

rally car, and that is a n/a 3TC. A lot of work and money and breakages have gone into that engine, lol.

On the other hand NME308 seems to have had a lot of success running a blow through setup on his 3TC, and

the story is pretty much the same across the board on 3TCgarage forums.

I wanted more than anything to build a tough n/a but it just doesn't seem to be the right way to go for me.

All the same, good luck with yours and enjoy it!

Cameron

• 3 weeks later...

I have done a fair bit of research and spoken a lot with Pete "KE20rally" who is running approx 145rwhp in his

rally car, and that is a n/a 3TC. A lot of work and money and breakages have gone into that engine, lol.

Only 2 camshaft gear failures :( unfortunatly the second one threw some shrapnel up the bore of number 1 which rendered the block u/s! my issue is not specific to N/A, anyone running the pushrod variation with an aftermarket cam may run into this issue, so hit me up if anyone is interested in 2/3TC builds, however if you are running a twin cam variation, you won't have this problem.

Cheers,

Pete

• 4 months later...

Looks nice dude, i will be running a 3tc shortly too (have engine but its tired and needs a rebuild) I'm assuming its the same as the 2tg, just a te2x crossmember and t50 crossmember?

Btw ke20rally do you work in the aviation evironment by any chance??

Edited by jay_howie

Looks nice dude, i will be running a 3tc shortly too (have engine but its tired and needs a rebuild) I'm assuming its the same as the 2tg, just a te2x crossmember and t50 crossmember?

Cheers mate,

I managed to buy a crossmember and mounts off a fellow member in NZ. There is another guy selling on here but not sure if they have been modified. The ones I brought are OEM.

Hi Jay,

No aviation for me, but I fly enough!

I don't believe you need a a TE2x Xmember to fit a 2/3T enging into A KE2x, just modify the mounts, I can send you some pics or your welcome to come and have a look at my setup.

Cheers,

Peter