Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Strange Rear Wheel / Axel Problem

Featured Replies

Hey guys I've got a strange issue with my KE20 currently.

 

I'm getting a clunk every now and then while driving coming from the rear passenger wheel. When I jack up the car and get the rear wheels off the ground I'm able to pull on the wheel and feel it pull about 1-2mm towards me, but this is only at a single point on the wheel. Ive already replaced the wheel bearing but they didn't seem to fix it? There was alot of play in the old bearing.

 

And before anyway asks every bolt is very tight!

 

Any ideas?? The Axel looked normal when i took it out??

but this is only at a single point on the wheel.

Do you mean it has movement at a single point in wheel rotation ?

  • Author

Do you mean it has movement at a single point in wheel rotation ?

 

Yes, i can only feel the movement and the clunk if i pull on a certain spot on the wheel.

 

By the way i feel absolutely no effect on driving as well.

Condition of splines on the axle and inside the diff center ?

  • Author

Condition of splines on the axle and inside the diff center ?

 

On Axel as per normal, no signs of damage, can't say for the diff center because i haven't opened it up. The clunk that i hear comes from the drum end of things if that helps too. I'm stumped.

I'd be more inclined to say you may have a few teeth missing on the spider gears.

 

Being a Jap diff, it may pay to pull out the centre and inspect it.

  • Author

I'd be more inclined to say you may have a few teeth missing on the spider gears.

 

Being a Jap diff, it may pay to pull out the centre and inspect it.

 

Damn, sounds like a need a new center. I seriously can't think of everything else as its all been inspected. Anyone got a spare jap diff?

if youve replace the wheel bearing and can still be able to get movement out the wheel SOMETHING AINT RIGHT

 

EDIT - I'm not sure if you could shim the back of the bearing on these axles? therefore fixing the freeplay problem

Edited by Evan G

A small amount of in and out movement of an axle is completely normal, Raven has posted a very valid point but before you go pulling the centre I would be taking the wheel and drum off and see what movement you have in the axle then.

Troy

 

I may be able to help as I have a jap diff centre sitting here waiting for you, also a pair of axles in the rare event that your axle is up the shit.

 

Let me know if you need it :blush:

Edited by LukeAE71

  • Author

A small amount of in and out movement of an axle is completely normal, Raven has posted a very valid point but before you go pulling the centre I would be taking the wheel and drum off and see what movement you have in the axle then.

 

I don't have any movement in the Axle when i pull the drum off, i can't pull on it and get any movement. Its only when i yank (or hit) the wheel at the top (at a certain spot) it clunks. Its a distinct metal on metal sound, this happens while driving. Initially I thought it was a uni joint but they seem really solid.

 

Troy

 

I may be able to help as I have a jap diff centre sitting here waiting for you, also a pair of axles in the rare event that your axle is up the shit.

 

Let me know if you need it :blush:

 

I might have to take you up on that Luke. I'm going to rip the diff out this friday i think. See how i go.

Edited by RA28GT

F824090.gif

 

Just to give you an idea, those pins that hold the spider gears can cause issues.

 

This is the basic layout of the Banjo (Jap) Diff.

 

Pretty simple to pull apart, if you need a hand, let me know. :)

Edited by Raven

  • Author

F824090.gif

 

Just to give you an idea, those pins that hold the spider gears can cause issues.

 

This is the basic layout of the Banjo (Jap) Diff.

 

Pretty simple to pull apart, if you need a hand, let me know. :)

 

Ive changed one before, biggest drama it getting the axles out, as well as getting the drums off. The first one was a nightmare to remove.

 

Any tips for me on axle removal?

 

Thanks Mick.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.