Why Do My Brakes Sqweekk

car = AE101

Inspection = approx 80% left on the front disc pads and about 50% left on the rear shoes. Drums have lite scouring as to be expected and so do the front discs but less then the drums. The front discs have plenty of life in them, like they've never been machined. I'm no expert, just my observation looking at the thickness.

The squeaking isnt constant with every touch of the brakes, its intermittent. Always happens when leaving the driveway in the morning. I'm convinced its coming from the front brakes. Happens mostly when coming to a complete stop at traffic lights etc(say slowing from 20 - 0 kms).

The car came to me threw good ole mum who had it serviced regularly. Could it be that garages would just use the cheapest pads they can get?( is that a dumbarse question or what ) Are there magor differences between pad brands compound wise/performance at the lower end of the market? Who gives a shit and do worry about it? Any brake experts in thu house?

Members dont see this ad

Brake squeel like you have described is usually an effect of surface glazed brake pads.

It could also be an effect of very slight vibration going throught the disk/pad.

It could also just be that it is a harder compound pad.

To eliminate this you can take the pads out and using a 400 grit sand paper take the hardened surface away from the face of the pad.

To see if it is a vibration issue, make sure that the pads are seated properly. If the pads are ment to have spring clips, make sure that they are still attached.

It could be anything, rust or dirt on your rotors or the compound of the pads.

Easiest fix is go get some anti squeel, should be in a red bottle, Put it on the back of the pads and put them back in and should no longer make noises :cool:

Jono

• Upvote 1

Are your discs really shiny? Glazed discs can do this to. Try getting them machined and cleaning your pads up like mentioned. Also, take the edges off the pads. This can be done on concrete, rub the pad on the ground in a figure 8 over and over again.

Also, to answer your original question, with my experience, non genuine pads will always glaze up and squeal compared to genuine pads (in most cases)... Another reason why I use genuine pads, no noise and no dust :)

Hi Ben,

Guy around the corner will machine both discs for $20. Bendix pads any good, Burson's quoted $93.

cheers Jason