Engine Conversion

beatle

Hi all.

I'm a noob to this but have been a long time fan of rwd rollas.

looking at buying my 1st one this week, and would like some help with what engine to go for.

Tried and tested 4age or a beams engine as I understand these are already rwd orientated and would be and easier conversion.

any help wood be appreciated.

Members dont see this ad

4age is also rwd depending what car you get it from.

If you buy an ae71 (1.6 litre version) then it'll mostly all bolt straight in then it's just loom and ecu and fuel setup (unless you go carbs for itb's)

3sge Beams is not so easy. You'd need custom mounts, gearbox xmember, tailshaft, and then loom ecu and fuel system, once again unless you go carbs or itb's.

Where as if you get a ke70 (1.3 litre version) then it's a lot trickier, for the 4age you need custom mounts, new gearbox, gearbox crossmember, tailshaft, and a hydraulic clutch set up. and fuel system, once again unless you go carbs or itb's.

And for the 3sge beams with the ke70 you'd need mounts, gearbox, gearbox crossmember, tailshaft, hydraulic clutch setup and once again

fuel system unless you go carbs or itb's.

Then there's also diff upgrades, suspension, brakes etc

Cheers

RWD 4AGE is old old old... So you'd be up for the tricky mods to turn a FWD motor around unless you are happy to rebore and rebuild an old RWD 4AGE.

Beams is post 1998 in the Altezzas, stacks more grunt, a taller motor although it does drop straight in with some sump mods and comes with a lovely 6speed box. You can easily get one that won't need rebuilding at all, but they are more expensive to buy. A half-cut will make the best job as you get all the computer wiring and sensors, but most guys just bodge it up and it never works quite right. As Jono says, you will have crossmember work to do either way.

How much money do you hope to spend, and what is the figure when you will give up and say 'f@$kit I'll sell it as a half-done project'?? These are very important numbers! If either is below $10,000 you will either be doing a lot of work yourself or you will get a poor job.

Thanks so far.

Think I might go with a 4age. Its a ke70 with a stock 4k motor.

seems like there is a lot more common and easier conversion after reading up a bit more. ( thanks rollaclub)

Keep the thoughts coming tho. I also have the means 2do the conversion myself just after the easier one

A lot of people these days are going CA's, SR's and 4A's because they are readily available and parts are easy to come by. All involve a lot of work unfortunately... Just buy the ke70 and drive it. Tweek it here, tweek it there see how you feel. You might not like the car to begin with. There aren't a great deal of eye catching ke70's out there. I hope you've got funk...