Ke30 And Ke35 Front Calipers

Trent-KE30

Coming in fairly late on the topic but a few things in here took my interest.

The first was the link to the pics of the calipars , the top being the girlock and the bottom being (sumitomo?).

Of the two calipars shown if both are readily availible ditch the girlock in favour of the sumitomo, the calipar shown in this pic Dubbed "sumitomo" is a twin piston design and will improve breaking consistancy no end over the "Clamp Style" girlock.

don't opt for the girlock calipar because of the increased pad surface area , an increased pad surface area might sound good in theory but a more even clamping pressure over a smaller pad will prove way more effective.

Take for example the well known Volvo 4 pot calipars , pad surface in these particular calipars is relativly tiny compared with a range of other calipars however with the even clampng pressure acheived through the four pistons they have become well known as a good upgrade option for a wide range of vheicles road and race alike.

Second , when taking to a calipar with an angle grinder keep in mind that an average pressure at any given calipar under hard breaking will be around 1500psi , taking this into account , do you really want to thin the cylinder walls of your calipar out ? Grind With Care and Attention.

DyNo.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dyno: I think you're thinking of Corona calipers. Corolla Sumitumo's as far as I know are single piston.

Trent: I don't think the pads are interchangeable.

Calipers are designed a certain way for a reason. Modifying them and grinding them should always be done with care and thought.

what an absolute heap of garbage. le30 sumitomo calipers are NOT twin piston

Ok , the sumitomos from a corolla must not be twin piston calipars , i can tell this from your confident post , but like i said in my post "the pic dubbed sumitomo?" if you look at the pictures supplied that picture clearly shows a 2 piece twin piston calipar , so maybe that picture isnt of what it was supposed to be.

yeah, you wouldn't want to put heat into brakes now would you

have you ever touched brakes after hard driving? they leave scarring blisters and change the color of the disc metal, i highly doubt half a minute with the angle grinder would generate anywhere near that much heat

they'll be fine

yeah, don't listen to what every "mechanic" has to say =)

i wouldn't use the thin discs with the girlock calipers, the brake fade resistance isn't much of an improvement, but it is noticeable when you're thrashing the ass out of the car. i managed to turn my ke70 rotors purple/black on many occasions, the last thing you want is thinner discs. if you're going to do an upgrade, i would rather do it properly