Engine Mods For A 4Ac Engine

andys-corolla

Members dont see this ad

A more free flowing exhaust system does wonders for a 4ac. Convert it to electronic distributor, That makes a bit of difference down low and you can find the dizzy's from ae82 corolla's.

Don't spend too much money on it though, Its only a 4ac.

Edited by AE70

Is it in an AE71/AE86, or a fwd corolla? Either way, extractors + zorst, a weber if you can afford it, look at a cam grind perhaps. Like Des said, if its a points dizzy, pick up a cheap eleccy one. Might get a little more poke, but gotta weigh up the costs, and if its worthwhile. Good luck.

Edited by ae824ate

That is the way to look at it- if yo're not going to keep it as a project car just tune it as is and save your bucks.

If you're convinced you should do it up, spend all your days at various wreckers until you find the bits you want... headers off a 4AC, fat exhaust off a Commode or Falcoon, weld it all up.... keep it cheap as possible. Chop holes in the inlet system in front of the filter and see if you can get a 2nd-hand cam for it.

Edited by altezzaclub

last time i asked bout the twin cam it was 500 for the engine and wiring and 700 to change all the parts over and yeah i not sure if i need to change all the other part

My last conversion took 33 hours but I have been dealing with 82's for quite some time, if you were up here then I would give you a hand, here is a run down of what is required.

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Series:A/Model/AE80/82/Converting_To_Twincam

When converting your SOHC to a DOHC EFI it is a lot easier to buy a car that has being damaged or the body is too rusty to use.

This list covers what you should be using in the swap.

Wiring: You will need the ECU, engine harness, engine bay harness, dash harness and the rear body harness as this covers the power for the tank, you may need to splice the tail light wiring into the new harness or pin the fuel pump wiring into your existing loom.

Fuel System: You will need the fuel tank from the twincam as it has a swirl pot design that the pump sits in and use the twincam filler neck.

Fuel & Brake Lines: You are better off undoing the lines in one go instead of taking a tube out of it and installing them into the receiving car.

Brake System: You will need to to use the twincam brake master cylinder.

Suspension/Driveline: Take the full suspension system off the front in one go - Strut assembly, brakes, hub and drive shaft.

You will need the same from the rear (apart from the obvious drive shaft).

Exhaust: Fairly obvious but you will need to use the 4age exhaust, the seca and sedan share the same length exhaust but the hatch is only the same up until the rear wheel.

Swaybar: The SOHC body's don't come with a front swaybar but have the provisions for one, use the one from the twincam.

Now of course, if you have all that done then you only have to install the engine, gearbox and oil cooler.

I will however update this thread with my next twincam conversion.

Article by Trev.