5K Harmonic Ballencer

Hi,

Today went to fit a plastic fan to my KE15 (fan from KE20) ANd the blades hit the front pulley on the 5K harmonic ballencer so can't fit on.

Can I remove this and fit a stock single row pulley and would it be ok?

Just don't want my crank to snap so any one who has done this id love info and how did it go etc?

Also anyone out there got pictures of KE1X engine bays of engine fans on them?

Cheers

Cameron

Members dont see this ad

Hi,

As Philbey pointed out KE10 a short shaft pump and all the longer shaft pumps will hit the radator so thats the issue.

But KE1X with aircon ran a twin row pulley so ill have to look into how that was set up.

But I got a KE70 4K item out shed today it is 130mm dia 5K item I use is 140mm dia so should be able to keep current fan belt.

Also engine I was told was rebuilt was a home job done poor so yeah not sure on ballance.

Biggest worry I now have is as fan is pulling air in to car blades bend fowards so they could hit the radator at high RPM :( So ill have to watch for this.

Shall let you all know hos I get along fitting the KE70 4K pulley.

Cheers

Cameron

Cam IIRC the actual fan/pump pulley on the KE10 was much smaller diameter than the one on the 5K, my guess is that the original air con KE10s just ran equal diameter pulleys, rather than the 5K with 2 different diameter pulleys.

Remember as you get to higher revs, the centrifugal force will counteract the tendency for the blade to pull outward due to air pressure.

I haven't played with 5ks but 3&4ks don't have a harmonic balancer. They have a crank pulley. I imagine it's the same with a 5k.

Difference? A harmonic balancer has a rubber ring between the fan belt ring and the inner circle that bolts to the crank. It's used to absorb some of the harmonics (twist) in the crank, hence the name. Seen mostly in 6 and V8 engines.

4cyls don't usually use 'em, 'cause the crank isn't long enough to warrant it.

Yes, there are exceptions. But I believe the small capacity K motors wouldn't require it.

So, changing crank pulleys shouldn't be a problem.

If you were concerned, get the crank pulley balanced.

Boo

post-9793-094471000 1296898118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bamboo

Hi,

So many replies..lol

Yes all 5K have a harmonic ballencer I have seen soem run with out it but not sure if they have lasted.

But today I got a 4K-C one Yes I did adjust the timing mark :) Polished it up poped it on went for a spin got engine warm hit 6grand no issues didnt go to 8 not yet ;)

So all in all should be good.

I do imagine but this Jap 5K was well made unlike many V8 and V6 motors so harmonics should be pretty low.

Also thermo no room :( ALso I have a stock KE10 aircon system I want to fit so can't put thermo in front of radator as I need that space so was only suck through an option and I had 42mm from radaitor face to engine so looked in MANY thermo fan books thinnest I saw was 45mm at a cost of $500 US.

SO ill keep you posted if my engine explodes but worked and DAM the KE15 stays cool now :)

Cheers

Cameron