3,4,5K Motors

Bullet55

Hello all.

I have a corolla I'm about to start building and I'm wondering what the best motor for it is and why?

I'm about to start an apprentaship soon and have to travel 100km everyday, and my only other car is an ef xr8 that chews threw the fuel.

I would like to no how many kms use get per tank or perr 100km with 3,4,5k motors ( doesnt matter what one ).

I don't really mind whats been done to the motor because ima turbo whatever one i end up with :)

Thanks all.

Members dont see this ad

Just stick with the trusty old 4k's

if you abuse it, change the engine over every 3 months with the oil, for around $100.

k's don't like boost on a 'tight budget' Being an apprentice you will not have the money to work/ maintain it much.

my 2c

Edited by Chillin

Just stick with the trusty old 4k's

if you abuse it, change the engine over every 3 months with the oil, for around $100.

k's don't like boost on a 'tight budget' Being an apprentice you will not have the money to work/ maintain it much.

my 2c

Reallll, cheers buddy..

Its good over the years we have collected so many parts haha..

Have 15 plus gbox, around 10 diffs, 6 motors only 2 good ones thought rest will need rebuild.

so should be fairly cheap if anything breaks down..

Thanks for that

Bullet55,

You're new here, welcome to the rollaclub. Please take the time to look over the forum rules; don't bump threads within 2 hours of posting, if you want an immediate answer, an internet forum isn't the place. And posting "dunno" as a response to a question is also uneccessary.

I get 9.5 with a heavily worked 5K. Others are getting down to 6.5L/100 on the open road

Use a 5speed box & a manual diff on the stock motor for the best fuel economy... maybe pipped by a Weber28/34 that is carefully jetted or twin inch & 1/4 SUs like I have.

Of course the total lack of power will drive you crazy so expect to fit a cam/exhaust/head work, which is why the idea of a 5K is so popular. The 4K is cheaper to scource these days.

Mine cruises at 7.5L/100km at 100kph, 8.5-9 around town, that's with the SUs/cam/skim and free-flow exhaust. Original rings though, I wanted cheap mods and low fuel usage.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/page__p__445727__fromsearch__1#entry445727

Allright to easy.

What i wanted was a 5k, 5 speed, 2 and a half exhaust and a lumpy cam.. maybe turbo later down the track..

i have a hoist soo that should make things wya more easy...

Thanks:)) I'm trying to get as low fuel economy as possible..

P.s sorry philby

Do lots of Google reading on the effect of 2&1/2" exhausts and lumpy cams on fuel economy...

Naturally lumpy cams a hopelessly ineffecient at burning fuel at idle/low speed and need to be over-rich to get them moving up to where they work properly... and that is where your 2&1/2" exhaust will work, up around 7000rpm...

Unfortunately 7000rpm is not going to give you good fuel usage! :laff:

I'd say 2" is more than enough for a 5K that you want to cruise to work in while not using much juice. Inch and 3/4 doesn't seem to hold my 4K back from hitting 6000 without a problem.

If you get more a mid-range cam it will be easier to match carbs to it and will work better with your turbo later on. Trying to run a turbo on a cam that really works from 5000-7000 is difficult I would say.

PM some of the guys who have built 5Ks on here and ask them if they would honestly do the same build again for a cruising daily. Guys like Philbey have tried stacks of stuff with them.

What carbies are you running?...not twin dellorto's? Thought I'd ask cause I'm about to upgrade to 2 and my boss says it's gonna drink the fuel.

Hey BULLET55

new here as well , I reckon just have fun with one motor(go all out) if you have so many laying around and keep one motor mild and see what the difference will be

CHEERS SCOTT

Edited by me n d boy

P.s sorry philby

All good mate.

What carbies are you running?...not twin dellorto's? Thought I'd ask cause I'm about to upgrade to 2 and my boss says it's gonna drink the fuel.

He has twin Dellorto's. How much they drink will depend on tuning. You can tune them to be thirsty, or economical. Or in between. Of course they will drink more, because you're going to love the sound of opening them up :)

yeh that's right, twin dellortos. If I flat stick it everywhere I'll push it to 11L/100. I don't see many lights or traffic on my journey, most of it is just cruising through 80 zones, if I were in a heavy traffic commute then it would defintely get higher.