Need A Full Respray On Ae71

i did mine with a supercheap gravity feed gun and 2 cheap air compressors hooked up to an airline with a regulator/water trap on a dirt floor shed turned out good but not perfect and all it cost was time and materials

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...

damn I'm doing the same thing now but my car is that lame sky blue so i can't just find an off the shelf paint to match.. Go to a automotive paint supply store and buy a decent gun, you can get a good enough one for around 120 roughly.

i'm starting to hate my rolla now though, every time i think i have the roof straight or the boot lid straight i just find another mark and i'm starting to turn all OCD on this project! can't wait for the finished product though

i'm playing with an idea to fill a fairly badly dinged section on the rear door...

i was going to clean and roughen the area to be repaired and remove the door from body, then tape a well around the mark and just mix some fiberglass resin and pour it in, will be quite easy to shape it right by hand... any thoughts?

the better the equipment, the better the finish is going to be...

definitely get a water trap...

definitely consider spending a little more money on a bigger compressor

as for a spray gun.. go to your local auto paint supply shop, not supercheap.. and ask what they can do for you and what they suggest.

you might end up with a better gun for similar money.. and they are more likely to offer some good advice using it if you go in with the right approach.

agreed with mr silver.

maybe even try and hire a compressor rather than buying one.

try and get the biggest you can get, you need to be able to get enough air to empty one mix of paint, you don't want to be waiting for the compressor to fill up while you have paint in your gun ready to go.

forget supercheap for everything other than sandpaper.

go to a proper auto paint shop, i bought quite a decent gun for 90bucks, so much better than the supercheap crap. and when you go to a paint shop, you arent dealing with a 17yr old kid who doesnt know what they are talking about.

yes get a water trap, we even ran two of them when i did (cause we had 2 lying around...)

we bought the supercheap gun quite a number of years ago (mainly to get the air line attachements, just happened to come with a paint gun too), we were just painting the engine bay....i mean it worked...but only just, wouldn't want to paint a car with it thats for sure.

btw: that orange ke20 looks awesome!

Edited by ke70dave

I've looked into this whole process ae71rollr , Theres is some good info in here and everyone is right , there is no wrong.

With these discussion's there is always 2 sides of the debate

1) Buy some SCA and do it yourself.

2) Buy some Expensive Gear and get a good job down.

Both have there Advantages and Disadvantages being cash or the finish of your car.

I Personally choose to go SCA way , bought my own meduim size compressor and guns from there even my paint(3m Paint) from there .

I choose the SCA way because I had other things to spend money on such as my whole front conversion, chrome bumpers, wheels, engine suspension . IF you are not going to spray many cars in your life buying SCA will out weigh Expensive equipment but YES will get a better job from a $600 gun no denying it! but don't think because your equipment is from SCA you going to get a shit job its all about preperation and some practice. I still have all my guns in perfect working order because I cleaned them out after every session ,I drained my compressor after every session.

My whole process cost me around 300 and I'm really happy with it!

Edited by Spencer