Bigger Wheels On Ke55

KE55EVO

Anyways. I have 17x8 on the rear of mine in a +25 offset, fits easily with room to spare.

205/40/17 is very close to the same rolling diameter to a 195/50/15 which is what the bulk of the people on this site run.

245/35/17 is also very close.

I have been through a roadside inspection with 205/40/17 and after they spent 40 minutes in a book,

was told they are legal on my ke30.

Max width for the stock front is a 7 inch rim, unless you either pump the guards, or don't have the entire rim under the vehicle.

low profile is in my experience a rougher ride, but has a lot less effect than people seem to think.

low profile also in my experience provides less straight line traction.

Members dont see this ad

do you guys realise how hard you need to push a tyre to deform? you certainly wont do it easily on the street with a road tyre.

Not much? Sure, it might seem rock hard when you try and push it with your hand, but that is a far cry from hitting a pothole at 60km/h with over a tonne or two of metal trying to bend the wheel into the pothole. Regardless of the tyre pressure, you still have actual rubber in the sidewalls that can flex and bulge and absorb impacts. Look at how much a normal road tyre can deflect when a car is turning into a carpark and you'll see the difference a high sidewall can make.

As an example, Cara's old ST162 is a perfect example for this - stock 14" wheels and 185/65 tyres and you are cruising along in comfort, soaking up bumps without a worry in the world (even on shot suspension). Swap out the 205/40/17s and the Momos, and it is Boom Crash Opera (and the number of flatspots in the Momos are a testament to that). Tyre pressures are similar (about 32 on the 14s, 36-38 on the 17s, both cold), car (apart from the wheels and tyres) is identical, road (street around the corner from my place on the way back from shopping) is identical.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

do you guys realise how hard you need to push a tyre to deform? you certainly wont do it easily on the street with a road tyre.

8 psi was a tonuge in cheek comment,i'm well aware of deforming a tyre on 4wd's (we won the nissan trials a few years ago.we used to run 0 psi with beadlocks)

and as for who told me this? well no one.its just what you learn after building heaps of cars and being involved in motorsport over 20 years :)

i think you may be a little confused :yes:

if the rolling diameter is the same,the top speeds will be the same.other advantages of a bigger rim with lower tyre profiles include,bigger brakes,less tyre squirm (side wall movement in conering)more rubber on the road for a given width(tyre face sits flatter),possibly lighter.

I'm sorry but if you have been involved in motor sport for over 20 years, i'm sure you would realize that such race cars as V8 super cars DO NOT run such wheel sizes as 18's with extreme low profile tyres, as you would need to on a Ke corolla, this proves the fact that low profile tyres DO NOT handle as well as you think they do!

It would be harsh and handle like shite, honestly 15's-max 16's, if you want more rubber on the road go wider even if you have to mini tub it as my mate will do with his datto ute, which is built for hill climb (hence cornering).

You could be the one to find out how wide you can go and let every one else know!

i'm not saying the lower the profile the better,every application is different.v8 supercars use 17's with slicks as a control tyre,but that is very different to a radial tyre on a 900kg car.

a lower profile gives a more direct feel,which is more often than not interperted as a harsher ride. i guess most of the cars here have 13" rims for 'performance' :bash:

• Downvote 2

i'm not saying the lower the profile the better,every application is different.v8 supercars use 17's with slicks as a control tyre,but that is very different to a radial tyre on a 900kg car.

a lower profile gives a more direct feel,which is more often than not interperted as a harsher ride. i guess most of the cars here have 13" rims for 'performance' :bash:

No they don't use 13's, mostly 14's and 15's because its good performance and cost affective way to achieve better handling, i run 16 inch sportivo rims on my ae82 seca with 45 series tyres and it is more direst as you say but at the same time a little more harsh too because of the high tyre pressure. I just think the profile of the tyre you will have to run on a ke will be like a rubber band and will handle bad, while the wheels and tyres will cost as much as the car is worth.

Hey thanks or all the info guys i will be giving the 16/17/18s all ago yes maybe it is for the wank factor but the car has large brakes all round you sort of need that on a car that makes 400-500hp the reason i was askin for this info was if i could get away from tubing it i just wanted that opion

Keep a eye out as i will be postin pics of this car shortly an yes it is modifired an has full rego in qld

:cool: