Sr20 Gearbox Tunnel Clearance

Micksute

Hi All

I have searched to try and find this, so please bear that in mind.

I am considering the different engine conversion options at the moment and I wanted to know if any had a picture of the tunnel clearance of an SR20 gearbox in an auto tunnel of a KE30/KE55?

I have a CA18DET datsun ute, but specifically bought a KE30 2 door to do a 2L turbo conversion. In the ute, the gearbox just clears the tunnel. I have seen many pics of tunnels and SR20 conversions, some look really close to touching the tunnel, but none tell what the car started as.

Any help appreciate.

Michael

Members dont see this ad

sr20 gearbox is too long for the ke30 tunnel.

It clears in all other areas, but the ke30 gearbox tunnel runs out, and the sr20 gearbox end up in the tailshaft section.

There are two shorter gearboxes you can use, an rb20 one, or a bluebird series 3 one.

both need bellhousings changed, bluebird one is weaker.

Use an sr20 gearbox bellhousing on an rb20 gearbox and this will move the shifter position forward and shorten the gearbox.

I can't tell you if this makes it clear completely, as i have used an sr20 box and made the ke30 floor to suit.

Thanks for replying, the both of you.

I am a bit of noob to Toyotas, but my Datsun is crazy (grafted IRS from S13 silvia, full baremetal candy respray, etc), so I know about the modding the shifter in the tunnel. However I specifically bought an auto to minimise the amount of work I needed to do this time around as I don't have the time or energy to go all out on another car...the conflict however is that I don't like a lot modern cars.

So, was either of your cars' an auto? If so, would you be able to show/take a pic of the tunnel clearance around the firewall for me? I looked and couldn't find this type of shot. Not sure what I could do in return of the favour, but if you think of something non-sexual just ask.

Michael

No, in my experience they are the same.

And yes is is possible to fit an sr20 gearbox without tunnel clearance issues.

this is how:

1. There is a brace across the floor inside the car, your gearbox shifter will be in line with this,

A: you could chop it out and pretend that it doesnt need to be re-strengthened or re-welded in.

B: you could more your motor forward about and inch or two to make it miss the brace.

2. The tunnel is too small to accommodate the large square shifter mount on the gearbox.

A: you could hang your gearbox down lower in the car until it clears, this will cause the motor to sit on a slope also.

B: you could keep moving the engine forward until the shifter is in a wider section of tunnel?

C: you could just chop more and more metal out until it no longer has clearance issues.

I guess it all comes down to what you call a 'fit',

and weather you would prefer a factory type fit, or a dump it in and drive type fit.

Thanks mate.

I have a lot of homework to do. Sorry for the dumb questions. I am not keen to cut up this car if I can help it, but I specifically bought it for a 2L/2L turbo conversion (weights more than a 1200 coupe)...I will need to look at other options for engines and do the numbers.

Regards

Michael