Dale'S Ke20 Rebuild

dale72ke20

Hi All,

Time has come to finally begin the rebuild of our old Corolla.

Has been in the family since the late 80's when it was my wife's first car.

It went through a body rebuild and respray ( was originally mustard yellow )in around 1992 when she was hit by a drunk driver.

Got a mechanical rebuild a couple of years later when the 3k and toyoglide finally gave up the ghost.

Suspension was replaced then , diff rebuilt, brakes completely replaced front and rear, a jap import 5k built up with a mildly ported and decked head, balanced internals and a 32/36 weber bolted on, and the car converted to a manual gearbox.

Was driven around like that and used as a weekend toy until i caught the Subaru bug and bought a Liberty RS turbo wagon.

The little ke20 then went into the garage and rarely came out.

The Subaru is long gone ( although my wife still has a Legacy GT ) , we now ahave a 6yo son and it's time for the ke20 to come out to play as a weekend toy and for my son to grow up with.

While the basics are still there ( and it has been stored in a dry garage ) there is a bit of work to do.

I habe been gathering parts for a while, and am now ready for the rebuild to start.

The intention is to get it back to a roadworthy state first, get it registered ( probably just on club reg) , and then progressively fix all of the issues.

It wont ever be overrated, but i'd like to have it as a strong , reliable little weekend toy and club car.

Will update this a it progresses. I hope to have it on the road in about 2 months and finished by Christmas .

This is her.

post-1798-081389400 1301114012_thumb.jpg

And from the back

post-1798-036710200 1301113814_thumb.jpg

Interior

post-1798-085451400 1301116528_thumb.jpg

Rust

post-1798-015494200 1301113839_thumb.jpg

think a new boot is in order ( this is the worst rust in the whole car thankfuly )

post-1798-064493900 1301113863_thumb.jpg

Already stickered :) Roll cage needs to be installed as well.

post-1798-004339600 1301113917_thumb.jpg

post-1798-090157000 1301113932_thumb.jpg

rust in the bottom of front guards, will need to get repair patches and sills behind guards probably will need attention as well .

Wont know until the guards come off.

post-1798-065932900 1301113950_thumb.jpg

Te27 flares to go on.

post-1798-038344100 1301113979_thumb.jpg

Will run a set of twin Aisin's and might change over the starter for the later model one .

post-1798-020071400 1301113990_thumb.jpg

And a new dash top

post-1798-075004800 1301127342_thumb.jpg

Its currently running a sprinter twin pipe exhaust manifold into a 1 3/4 ( i think ) exhaust with a straight through muffler at the end.

Will change this over to a set of extractors

post-1798-020861000 1301117344_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dale

Edited by dale72ke20

Members dont see this ad

Hi mate, good luck with the rebuild. Looks like you have a good base to start with. I hope the build go's quicker than mine has. I got so depressed not raceing I went out and got an AE82 shitter to race until my KE20 is back on the road. What club do you belong too and where do you race? Cheers Paul.

G'day Paul.

Thanks for the encouragement.

EA82 eh, i used to have a little white one. Fun little things, never liked the gearbox shift on them but the 4age was a revvy litte sucker :)

Couldnt you just steal a ride in the Pulsar ??

Your car will be fantastic when finished, hey I liked it before you started.

2TG...mmmmm, one day maybe.

Oh, if you ever feel inclined to make up another panhard rod setup and sell it, let me know :)

That cage fits fine as a half cage, but the front hoops are not suitable for the 20, wrong angles in bends. Will look into getting something sorted out there later.

I know being a Bond alloy one it wont ever be CAMS happy, but hey, i wont ever be competing in it at state level either so it's not a problem for me.

Not in a club at the moment. Need to look into that and find one that suits. Actually , havent been in one for about 18 years come to think of it.....geez. am i that old.... :)

I want to enter the occasional sprint, autocross, hillclimb etc.

Nothing serious , just for fun.

Also don't mind the occasional social type event or helping out with marshalling etc.

Cheers,

Dale

Wow what a great little car mate looks great :dance:

If u ever come down to geelong we always have a autocross on :wink: hahaha we have a motokhana on this weekend if ur interested :happy:

Hope it brings u loads of fun and heaps of happy memoires :lolcry:

see ya

jimi

Edited by jimi91

hey mate looking good so far, I'm eager to begin my project but with the advice from the old man i decided to hold of until later on this year in order to get well informed about legality of the mods i am going to do and also dealing with engineer certificates and so on...bloody vic roads!

Just wanted to ask you about the roll cage that you have, I don't know much about them how much they cost or anything, was wondering if you could share some info with me? Or anyone else that knows about them?

G'day Paul.

Thanks for the encouragement.

EA82 eh, i used to have a little white one. Fun little things, never liked the gearbox shift on them but the 4age was a revvy litte sucker :)

Couldnt you just steal a ride in the Pulsar ??

Your car will be fantastic when finished, hey I liked it before you started.

2TG...mmmmm, one day maybe.

Oh, if you ever feel inclined to make up another panhard rod setup and sell it, let me know :)

That cage fits fine as a half cage, but the front hoops are not suitable for the 20, wrong angles in bends. Will look into getting something sorted out there later.

I know being a Bond alloy one it wont ever be CAMS happy, but hey, i wont ever be competing in it at state level either so it's not a problem for me.

Not in a club at the moment. Need to look into that and find one that suits. Actually , havent been in one for about 18 years come to think of it.....geez. am i that old.... :)

I want to enter the occasional sprint, autocross, hillclimb etc.

Nothing serious , just for fun.

Also don't mind the occasional social type event or helping out with marshalling etc.

Cheers,

Dale

Dale, our club is just what you want..

http://www.gippslandcarclub.com.au/about.html

Yes I thought about pinching the Pulsar for a while but it is a 1.8 ltr and I run Sports Sedan >1600 so I couldn't accumulate points for the championship. We have a Kahana Cross in a couple of weeks and you can join the club on the day and get your Cams licence as well.

With the roll cage, the car that it came out of had no dash so it ran further foward. You might be able to shorten the top of the hoop and see how you go,. If not, I will swap you a panhard rod for the left over bits as i need to make some anti intrusion bars for my KE20.

Hope to see you soon. Cheers Paul.

hey mate looking good so far, I'm eager to begin my project but with the advice from the old man i decided to hold of until later on this year in order to get well informed about legality of the mods i am going to do and also dealing with engineer certificates and so on...bloody vic roads!

Just wanted to ask you about the roll cage that you have, I don't know much about them how much they cost or anything, was wondering if you could share some info with me? Or anyone else that knows about them?

Hi mate, I take it you are in Vic. Do you want a roll cage for competition or for looks? Is the car for the road or the track. If its for the road, then you will have issues with Vic roads. If its for track work, the cheepest place in Vic is Trik Rollcages in Dandinong.03 97918622. They build a good cage at a fair price. Every year Cams regs for roll cages change so don't get your cage untill you are ready to log book the car or you may find it is out of date before you start. Once the car is log booked, the changes don't effect it. (This is assuming you want it for comp). Cheers Paul

Thanks everyone,

Yep, Doogs is right regarding the flares, I'm actually outside the guards at the moment front a rear.

Front is out by about 15 mm and back about 10mm.

I thought this was wiers as i am running 185/60 on front a 205/60 on rear.

I expected the backs to hang out more if anything.

I'll probably run a small spacer as well, will see how it comes up once they are fitted.

Been busy with work lately, all i have done so far is pull out the taillights, grill , bonnet lip strip and the scuttle vents to start cleaning them up for a respray.

Will pull the inlet / exhaust manifolds off this weekend if i have time.

Tried to move the bloody car a few weeks ago and even though the handbrake is off and it's not in gear it wouldnt move.

One rear wheel seems locked, assuming a jammed wheel cylinder or something along those lines.

Hooked the winch on the 4wd up to it and dragged it a foot or so, but it still didnt break the hold.

Need to look at that too, might be intresting trying to remove the drum :)

Anyone got any ideas ???

Cheers

Dale

Thanks everyone,

Yep, Doogs is right regarding the flares, I'm actually outside the guards at the moment front a rear.

Front is out by about 15 mm and back about 10mm.

I thought this was wiers as i am running 185/60 on front a 205/60 on rear.

I expected the backs to hang out more if anything.

I'll probably run a small spacer as well, will see how it comes up once they are fitted.

Been busy with work lately, all i have done so far is pull out the taillights, grill , bonnet lip strip and the scuttle vents to start cleaning them up for a respray.

Will pull the inlet / exhaust manifolds off this weekend if i have time.

Tried to move the bloody car a few weeks ago and even though the handbrake is off and it's not in gear it wouldnt move.

One rear wheel seems locked, assuming a jammed wheel cylinder or something along those lines.

Hooked the winch on the 4wd up to it and dragged it a foot or so, but it still didnt break the hold.

Need to look at that too, might be intresting trying to remove the drum :)

Anyone got any ideas ???

Cheers

Dale

sounds like the hub has siezed