New To The Ae86

forcexx

ok so i have had a quick browse around the website.

don't exactly know much about the forum, have been on here previously to have a bit of a look.

I am about to purchase my first AE86. ADM model i believe.

Looking at particulars to look for. It has a 4ac in it, how can i identify what diff is in it?

anything i can read up on?

anything to look out for or anything that i may or may not want to know?

cheers.

Members dont see this ad

It'd be S series diff i presume, there's a build plate on the firewall that'll tell you.

They rust out in the hatch and bonnet so might be a good idea to check there.

If it's 4ac then it's ADM, But the 4age will go in without too many hassles.

One thing to know is parts are expensive. Whether factory or aftermarket be prepared to pay a fair bit for what you want.

Cheers

I have seen 1 S series LSD advertised in Australia in the last 5 years. T series requirements have been well documented here, toymods and AE86 Driving Club. Wherever T series diffs were not fitted in AE86's. i.e. Australia. It's a bolt in conversion but expensive. T18 diffs T series diffs are bolt in but hard to find, and pricey when you do, plus drum brake. AE86 drum T series virtually unseen here. AE86 disc rear T series available but very expensive.

Read up on T18's diffs and sway bar fitment. T series diffs and axle sizes and diff centre compatibility. It is very well covered everywhere. T series came out in many other Toyota's but only the T18 or AE86 housing is a direct bolt in.

The search button is your friend.

But yes, be careful about rust, and wary if it has been modified, unless you know what you are looking at.

Biggest warning is that you will probably end up spending a lot on it. 86s are great, but the ADM models usually scream for some mods (which always end up being expensive as everyone has said). A piece of advice would be to enjoy it as it is for as long as you can, with the 4ac it is still a lot of fun. The problem with the 86s is that they are 25 years old, so even if you sink a lot of money into it it will never be quite as good as a "modern" "sports" car (which is why I suggest enjoying it for what it is instead of trying to make it something it isn't). After a while you won't be able to resist doing something to it, so I'd suggest starting small/cheap (new springs, tyres etc) as with most cars it's a case of diminishing returns (spend $100 on new springs and it will feel 100% better, spend $1000 on it will only feel 150% better). With all that said, they are great little cars!

my suggestion is buy one that is already done up...and then spend time and a bit of cash cleaning it up (if required)

stocko ADM might cost you 3000, modified may cost you 5000. But it has 4000 worth of parts on it.

I know its good to build your own (i have done the same) but its just not economically viable!

my suggestion is buy one that is already done up...and then spend time and a bit of cash cleaning it up (if required)

stocko ADM might cost you 3000, modified may cost you 5000. But it has 4000 worth of parts on it.

I know its good to build your own (i have done the same) but its just not economically viable!

Yeah, that's another great bit of advice. You see a lot of sprinters going for around 7-9k, to build the same thing would easily cost 15-20k. A lot of people says building it is good cause you get to make it "how you want it", but for the cost it's just not worth it.

cars i have owned before this

1984 TG gemini

1975 TX gemini

so it is a step forward for me, i know old cars will never be the same. what can i say, i just enjoy the older cars better, and yes we all should know by now they cost alot of money but its still fun :)