86 Jdm Tank Installed, But Now Car Wont Start Up?

dividee

hey guys ive just recently installed a jdm tank into my sprinter however it appears now that the car wont start up?

Ive checked:

1) All lines and that they are connected correctly

2) Prime the fuel line of any air

3) check pump if it is actually even working (which it is).

4) Spark plug wise the car did not have any issues with it before i installed the jdm tank

So what could it be? Can you please help me find the root of the problem.

Muchly appreciated,

Dave

Members dont see this ad

So you tested the pump but how did you do the wiring in tank? Did you test your pump and wiring all together, or was the pump just tested loosely then fitted after.

Did you ground it aswell as give it power, is the ground clean and with solid contact? If you did it under the body you may need to sand back or brush back the deadener.

How is it wired, did you use the pinout on the ecu to trigger a relay?

Presumably you are using an AE86 intank pump and bracket?

Do you have a return line plumbed from the fuel rail back to the tank?

When you turn the ignition switch to ON (i.e. not start), the fuel pump should receive power and start pumping fuel to the rail, when pressure at the rail is reached, the fuel pressure regulator bleeds off the excess pressure by returning fuel to the tank.

Sitting in the car with the ignition switch at ON, you should be able to hear the pump running and the fuel circulating. Can you hear this?

Most problems are because people haven't wired the pump power actuation properly, or haven't fitted a return line. If the latter, you will be filling the sump with fuel when cranking.

How was your fuel setup done originally?

When you turn the ignition switch to ON (i.e. not start), the fuel pump should receive power and start pumping fuel to the rail, when pressure at the rail is reached, the fuel pressure regulator bleeds off the excess pressure by returning fuel to the tank.

hmm this isnt the case in my car.

i hooked mine up using the circuit opening relay with the ECU (as per the wiki article on here somewhere)

the fuel pump should run when the engine is cranking, and when the engine is running.

otherwise if you crash, and you leave the car in ignition, then you could potentially be spraying fuel everywhere.

I mean when the charge light comes on, but before cranking. Mine is wired with factory looms, circuit open relay etc..

My 2001 EFI Renault does the same thing.

Edit, if your car has factory wiring, you can short the fuel pump plug next to the check engine diagnostic plug and that turns causes the fuel pump to operate too.

Edited by parrot

hmm that is interesting...

i know my s15 does a quick prime when you switch it to IGN (but not start), i noticed this in my mates s13 too.

with my 4a because it doesnt prime (for whatever reason) i find i need to give the starter a quick blip to get it to prime the fuel pumps, then i go to start it again and it starts well.

if i don't do that priming thing, it tends to turn over longer as its pumping the fuel up (i don't think i have a non return valve in my fuel pump either...)

anyway....i used this to wire mine up

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Circuit_Opening_Relay_Wiring

Yes, mine only needs about 4 turns on the reduction starter and away she goe.

Edit, Where I said ON probably should read IGN. I certainly don't mean the ACC

Edit, edit: Had a look last night and it actually does say ON, not IGN!

Edited by parrot