Toyota.au Being Funny...

st.nick

Members dont see this ad

I was actually referring to the fact that the KE10 won in it's class at Bathurst on first attempt. But the FWD Corollas were actually the most successful of all the racing Corollas, and I'm sure I've read somewhere that the AE92 FX-GT or GTi had the longest in-class winning streak for any vehicle in any racing category (something like 90 straight wins in Australian Production Car racing I think). And on that topic, here's Corolla's Bathurst winning history:

<b>Year & Event, Drivers, Model, Class Position, Outright Position</b>

1968 HARDIE-FERODO 500, Bruce Hindhaugh/Bob Morris, Toyota Corolla, 1st Class A, 30th

1969 HARDIE-FERODO 500, Brian Sampson/Bob Morris, Toyota Corolla, 1st Class A, 29th

1985 JAMES HARDIE 1000, John Smith/Drew Price, Toyota Corolla GT, 1st Class A, 17th

1986 JAMES HARDIE 1000, Mike Quinn/John Faulkner, Toyota Corolla GT, 1st Class A, 19th

1987 JAMES HARDIE 1000, Garry Willmington/Bob Holden/Bryan Bate, Toyota Sprinter, 1st Class C, 23rd

1988 TOOHEYS 1000, John Faulkner/Drew Price, Toyota Corolla, 1st Class C, 9th (<b>WTF!?!</b>)

1989 TOOHEYS 1000, Mike Dowson/Neal Bates, Toyota Corolla FX-GT, 1st Class C, 17th

1990 TOOHEYS 1000, Geoff Full/David Ratcliff, Toyota Sprinter, 1st Class C, 22nd

1991 TOOHEYS 1000, Geoff Full/Paul Morris, Toyota Sprinter, 1st Division 3, 12th

1992 TOOHEYS 1000, Jason Bargwanna/Scott Bargwanna, Toyota Corolla FX-GT, 1st Class B, 22nd

Gosh I miss Group A racing. Okay, so winning outright is brilliant and is what most people pay attention to, but class victories are bloody excellent too.

yea, i agree.

touring car racing isn't what it was.

i would like to see our premier racing category to be much the same as it started. long gone are the days when they would drive the cars to the track, race them all day, and then drive them home again. the cars being basically what they sell on the showroom.

you would think with more manufacturers to gain exposure, it would be good for the sport. would make for far more money put into sponsorship... win on sunday, sell on monday.

i guess the only manufacturers to benefit these days are holden and ford. pity the v8 supercars only real similarity over a production car, is the body. not much else is as it was when it left the factory. :jamie:

...pity the v8 supercars only real similarity over a production car, is the body. not much else is as it was when it left the factory. :jamie:

Not sure whether they have to make wider guards or not?? It wouldn't be the same width as a road-car would it?? About the only 'true' thing from factory is the lights, would be my guess.

I wonder if Ralliart could whack a big turbo on these new Mitsi 175kW '380' sedans, and match pace with the supercars?? FWD... good for racing!!

Edited by st.nick

you would think with more manufacturers to gain exposure, it would be good for the sport. would make for far more money put into sponsorship... win on sunday, sell on monday

despite the fact v8 supercar racing is a farce as you describe, research shows the results on the racetrack still do have a noticeable effect on showroom sales. aussie bogans are dumber than we think

• 1 year later...